Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprise child

annabel

Default Surprise child

Whilst browsing through a newspaper site I was stunned to find a reference to a daughter of Sir Thomas Vezey Strong a Lord Mayor of London, who died in 1920. I was under the impression he was childless. It was on a ship in 1936. Mrs Violet B Thrower, and her husband Dr William R Thrower who was connected with Dorset. I have looked through the directories of the GMC on A** and found him registered in 1925, and in Weymouth in 1935 his middle name is Raynor
    However to prove the relationship to Sir Thomas I need a birth or marriage and I cannot find any.
    Sir Thomas was born in 1855 so I guess any child could be born from 1875 and her marriage from 1893, although Thomas married for the only time I know of in 1900. Has anyone any ideas?

Annabel

mike lee

could you rephrase your questions?? im not quite sure who you are refering to,,and what exact information you are looking for ??/ regards,,,Mike.

Brick wall demolition expert!

If you mean that Violet B Thrower is the daughter of Thomas Vasey Strong, you may wish to research these two birth registrations:

Births Jun 1884
    Strong Violet Beatrice Camberwell 1d 886
    Births Jun 1885
    Strong Violet Beatrice Islington 1b 236

The second one could imply a late registration?

I'll have a look for her/them on the census records.

Adele

Well, one of the Violets is the daughter of a George R Strong, born Glasgow. She's variously listed in the 1891 and 1901 census as being born in Peckham or London.

And then there's this Rootsweb posting, which clouds the situation even further:

https://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.co...-07/0869432569

......who the Lord Mayor (s) of London was during the period of the WWI. I am looking for a woman who was the daughter, Violet, who married Wilfred Moule. Wilfred "Sam" Moule, was killed on the dirigible R101, Oct 4, 1930......

Adele

annabel

Sorry to be confusing. what I am trying to find is proof that Violet Thrower nee Strong was Thomas Vezey Strong's daughter through finding documents which would name him as the father. William was her husband.
    Adele- thanks for looking. Thomas lived and worked in the City of London itself right until almost the end of his life, so initially those 2 Violets do not sound quite right, although he could have travelled of course. I have Thomas in all the censuses with his family before he married at the age of 45, no Violet. As Violet's husband William was qualified in 1925 I thought that he could have been about 25 at that time, so Violet could have been born as late as 1900 if she was of a similar age!

I've just found the couple listed exactly as you had named them travelling from Kingston Jamaica on the Ariguani arriving 9 Nov 1936 at Avonmouth. She is 32 years old and he is 34. Their address is 8 Belvedere, Weymouth.
    Annoyingly, the page on Anc* that would show deaths on the voyage is not included.

Adele

annabel

Adele- Thank you for finding all this. In the newspaper there was no age for them so this is a great help. So that means Violet was born after Thomas' marriage. The address you gave is the same I had for her husband William Thrower.
    The rootsweb thread that you found is very interesting. I wonder if Violet married this Wilfred Moule before she married William Thrower? However I cannot find a marriage for Violet B Moule to Thrower either...
    Annabel

After further googling "Wilfred Moule" and "Violet", it appears that this Violet's second name was May & she remarried to a Turner, so a red herring....

Have you found the Thomas Vezey Strong family in the 1911 census?

Adele

gasser

You may or may not have seen this article which appeared in the London Gazette 26 November 1920 asking for any persons with claims or demands on the estate of Sir Thomas Vezey Strong

https://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/iss...11745/page.pdf

Might be worth pursuing his will.................?
    Last edited by Mutley; 06-06-2009 at 9:47 PM. Reason: getting link to work

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast