pennydog

Post Macclesfield Industrial School

Have just found that a child of 'mine' was at this establishment, through your excellent threads I have found out about industrial schools, but wondered if anyone out there has traced an ancester in one and what, if any, information they were the able to glean from it. I believe records from this school are available at the Cheshire records office, but living in London a visit is not an imminent possibility I am willing to pay for a search, but would like to ascertain beforehand what the records would tell me.

spison

I have traced one girl in Australia to the Newcastle Industrial School (in Newcastle, Australia) so will have to read up on them. Margaret was about 15 and fortunately she decided to get baptised and it was stated on the baptism records. I assume that the Australian Industrial Schools were modelled on the British ones. Would this be the forum's feel too? I have yet to get to the NSW Archives to find out more and also would like to know what I might find out in the records (if in our case they still exist) but will read up what is here first.
    Jane