Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Red face Old Birmingham Newspapers.

Firstly, I hope I have put this in the right area of the Country!

I have just obtained the death cert. of someone who commited suicide in 1922, there was an inquest on 3rd July. What I would like to find out is if it was put in the local paper.
    Does anyone have any idea which newspapers were around back then? I don't know which one to look for.

Many thanks

Alison

Jan1954

Hello Alison,

Birmingham has its own forum under Warwickshire and so I have moved the thread there.

Meanwhile, newspapers that may have carried a report of the inquest for 1922 include:

Birmingham Daily Post
    Birmingham Weekly Post
    Birmingham Daily Mail

However, according to the British Library Newspaper Archives there are a lot of other ones that may be more local to the specific areas of Birmingham. Are there any further location clues on the death certificate?

Thanks for moving it Jan...I must have missed that one! never was very good at geography

Thanks for the advice. Other clues

206 Sherlock Street

Sub district St. Martin's

Jan1954

Well, my geography of Birmingham is not too hot, but from a bit of a google, it seems to have been pretty central. All references that I have found point towards it being near the Bullring.

Perhaps the newspapers that I mentioned would be a starting point and it could be worth contacting the Birmingham Archives and Heritage Centre.

Red face

Brilliant! Thanks Jan...that's a starting point!

Thank you

Default 206 Sherlock st

The birmingham archives are your best bet. In case you want to know where it happened go to the map c 1902-11 at https://i431.photobucket.com/albums/q...katc1910-1.jpg . Because I do not know if the corner building counted as in Sherlock or Gooch St, I can only say that 206 was either the red or the blue building. It is not listed in the 1921 directory, but in 1913 was Ambrose Wimbush, bakers.

Many thanks Mikejee

Red face

THis is slightly veering off my original query, but on the death certificate he is recorded as being a refreshment house keeper. Any thoughts as to the likelyhood of him living above a premises.....or would it be more probably he worked somewhere separate?

I have a bit of a problem as the death took place somewhere completely differently to where his family lived. I have to try and prove or disprove that this cert is or isn't the person I'm looking for, but it's the only person of the correct name and age in the time frame I'm looking at.
    Given the fact he commited suicide I suppose it is possible he had some problem and moved away from the family, but with only a coroner as an informant I can't prove it either way.

All thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alison

kandi

Hi alison

I'm not sure if you have the coroners report, but I was able to get one dated 1916 from the Birmingham Archives & Heritage Service. They hold coroners reports from 1875 onwards and were able to photocopy the pages for me.

Kandi

Alison

I don’t know if this is any help, but the electoral roll for 1920 lists the occupants of 206 Sherlock st as Ellen Armstrong and Solomom (misprint?) Green with Green listed on the page as also having an address at 133 alexander road, though this address (for polling purposes) is only listed as occupied by Howard and Elizabeth Anne Balleny. Bit complicated, but do those names mean anything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast