Thread: Disappeared!

vjlitt

Default Disappeared!

Have a couple of elusive ancesters who are listed in census with parents then wife and kids etc. but all of a sudden not anywhere in 1881 or 1891 yet rest of family still listed in same villages. Wife has 'married' and not 'widow' showing and no trace of deaths on any BMD lists!!
    I am trying to locate Obadiah and Elijah Littleboy - not names easily overlooked hey!
    I am now wondering if they may residing be at her/his majestys pleasure - and as the two I am missing are related it could be that they did the crime together.
    How can I find list of inmates in Prison and should I assume they may be in their local clink or is it more likely they are in another area.

I apologise if this is something that has been answered before but I could not find any references to answer this.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Elizabeth LITTLEBOY,Head,50, Norwich, Norfolk, Dressmaker
    Eliza LITTLEBOY, Dau,16, Norwich, Norfolk, Shoe Machinist
    Walter LITTLEBOY,Son,14, Norwich, Norfolk, Errand Boy
    Albert LITTLEBOY, Son, 21, Norwich, Norfolk, Rivetter
    Elijah LITTLEBOY, Son, 25, Norwich, Norfolk, Fish Dealer

Wellington Lane, Norwich St Giles, Norfolk
    RG11 / 1946 / 77 / 18

Obadiah LITTLEBOY, Head,28,Norwich, Norfolk, Shoemaker
    Mary Ann LITTLEBOY,Wife,28,Norwich, Norfolk
    Charles H. LITTLEBOY, Son,4,Norwich, Norfolk
    Gerty M. LITTLEBOY, Dau, 9 m, Norwich, Norfolk

Walmsley Bldgs, Heigham, Norfolk
    RG11 / 1951 / 99 / 19

Both from 1881 census. Are these yours ?

Mutley

If they are in prison they would still be on the census but may be listed by their initials. They could serve their time anywhere.

Why don't you post more details and someone will take a look for you. There seems to be quite a few mistranscriptions for the name.

Are they the fellows born in Norwich 1851-1853?

vjlitt

Thanks -these are the two I am looking for and apologies as I mistyped 1881 required as I had found them as shown. BUT no mention in 1891 census although Mary Ann wife of Obadiah is listed but not as a widow and Emily, wife of Elijah, was in 1881 listed as housekeeper for Jacob Woods hence why not living at home/with Elijah. However by 1891she has remarried to guess who - Jacob Woods - and all children given new husbands surname.
    However neither Obadiah or Elijah are anywhere to be found until 1897 when Elijah remarries but in the 1901 census he is widowed and living in Norwich Union Workhouse. He died in 1902. Where was he between 1881 census and 1901? He married/died in Norwich so doesn't seem like he moved away.
    As for Obadiah he has just disappeared altogether. In 1901 census his wife Mary Ann (nee Cox) is still described as married and not widowed and has dau Gerty and her brother Bernard Cox living with her. There is no record of Obadiahs death - so we can only assume he discovered eternal life and is still with us!!! -but where did he go I wonder....

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by vjlitt
    As for Obadiah he has just disappeared altogether.........where did he go I wonder....
    You might try:

1. Records of Thorpe Lunatic Asylum

2. Armed forces records

3. Emigration

4. Workhouse records.

If he ran off with another woman he could have changed his name and so be difficult to locate.

Patricia Anne

Is it possible that his death was registered under Henry? Is this his birth Reg?

Henry Obediah Littleboy
    Year: 1851
    Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
    District: Norwich
    County: Norfolk
    Volume: 13
    Page: 275

There is a death registered in Prestwich Lancashire in 1902, AMJ quarter Volume 8d Page 269 for Henry Littleboy born around 1860, age at death 42. Different County but who knows where he ended up. Might be worth a look.

vjlitt

Many thanks Patricia Anne.

Yes he is registered as Henry Obadiah at birth (although always referred to as Obadiah or Obadiah Henry from then on) but unfortunately the Henry in Lancs is a different one and I do already have him 'sorted' in the ever growing Littleboy tree......

I have spent hours/days trying every avenue with this Obadiah but to no avail as yet...
    its a shame as he is part of our direct line grrrrh!
    So I am going to keep looking but its been such a headache I will now focus on a few others as well - they say a change is as good as a rest!!!!