bigmick

Default Herbert John child father Herbert Child

Please can anyone help i have just recieved the wedding cert i have been waiting for but i still cant find any info on Herbert John Child b:1865 he was a corporal in 1st battalion Connaught Rangers his father was also Herbert child who was also a soilder (i presume the same regiment ) Herbert john married Maud Margaret Joyce b:1874 in Dinapore India in 1890 Father George Joyce also profession soilder (again i presume the same regiment ) any help or if anyone can point me in the right direction please
    Mick

Brick wall demolition expert!

Where was Herbert John born. If his father was a soldier it may have been overseas. Do you have any census information for the family showing the birthplaces ?

bigmick

I cant find any census info for herbert anywhere i'm assuming with it being an Irish regiment that he is irish but on the wedding cert it has his nationality as being English i know Maud Margaret was born in Colchester but i cant find any more census info on her untill 1911 and Herbert is'nt on it
    Mick

Presumably the fact that he was a corporal in the 1st Connaught Rangers comes from the Wedding certificate. How did you know to get hold of that.

I would think service records are your first port of call. He could have been born, married and died abroad. He may well have been entitled to be English as he was a serving soldier stationed in the Empire.

As for Maud being born Colchester, it is a Garrison town. Father just happened to be there.

bigmick

I got a copy of the marrige cert from the G R O hoping it would have a bit more info on it . They are the same conclusions that i had come up with was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to where to look
    Thanks for your help Mick

We got some service records from here

https://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...records.html#5

and it is worth a look however it states

What about records in the public domain?
    The following personnel Service records have been transferred to the National Archive (formerly the Public Record Office) and are available for public access.

Royal Navy Officers commissioned prior to 1914
    Royal Navy Ratings who enlisted prior to 1924 and First World War records for the Women's Royal Naval Service
    Royal Marine Officers commissioned prior to 1926
    Royal Marine Other Ranks that enlisted prior to 1926
    Army Officers commissioned prior to 1920
    Army Other Ranks that enlisted prior to 1920
    Royal Air Force Officers that served prior to 1922
    Royal Air Force Airmen that served prior to 1924
    Service records which pre-date those held by the MOD have been transferred to the National Archive and are freely available for public access. However the National Archives is not resourced to carry out searches.

Enquirers are instead welcome to visit, or hire an independent researcher - see the National Archive website for further details.
    I guess you would need to book a visit but I would post the question on the appropriate forum here for more precise help.

bigmick

Thanks for all of your help i think the only option left is a trip to kew
    Mick

I think you have too book it and pre-request what you want. Do check it out on their web site. I would get Herbert John's and both father's records.

I have never been there so hopefully anyone with the experience can perhaps help as well.

Good luck