rasmusseneric

Question The Ushers of Flitwick Bedfordshire (c1740)

I am looking for the marriage date of Ambrose USHER and Elizabeth ?

According to the IGI, they had four children, born between 1739 and 1753. All were baptised at Flitwick, Bedfordshire.

The children were: Margaret 1747; Rebecca 1744; Ambrose 1739 and Ambrose? 1753.

The IGI is silent on the matter - I have tried from 1730 to 1750 to no avail

Eric

davidcarca

There's a baptism on the IGI of an Ambrose Usher in Newport Pagnell, Bucks in 1714, whose mother was Rebecca. the same name as Ambrose's daughter in Flitwick. They may well have married in Bucks, which is not as well covered on the IGI as is Beds.

David

rasmusseneric

Quote Originally Posted by davidcarca View Post
    There's a baptism on the IGI of an Ambrose Usher in Newport Pagnell, Bucks in 1714, whose mother was Rebecca. the same name as Ambrose's daughter in Flitwick. They may well have married in Bucks, which is not as well covered on the IGI as is Beds.

David
    Thanks David,

Just before checking on my thread I had found the Ambrose above.
    Using your Google maps instructions, I see they are about 10km apart - sounds reasonable. I am going to work on that assumption.

Eric

davidcarca

Suggestion, not instruction!!!

The NBI has a number of burials in Flitwick:
    Ambrose 13 Nov 1840
    another Ambrose 21 Apr 1758
    and old Ambrose aged 93 (might not be accurate) on 1 Jan 1795
    There's also an Elizabeth on 30 Jul 1750

There was also a John and Anne baptising children in Flitwick. It might be worth looking at them too, although it may just be coincidence. But if it's the right Ambrose born 1812 there's plenty of time for him to have had other children before 1739.

Another suggestion! Another way into the IGI if you know the parish you're looking for is via https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....htm#PageTitle It cuts out all the member submitted garbage

David

rasmusseneric

Thanks David

I will certainly make use of your suggestion!

Eric