arky2

Wink Akeroad, Arkwright, Dobson

I am trying to find information on my 3 and 4 times great grandfathers. In the Parish records that I have found William Akeroad married Betty Dobson April 1779 in Rochdale. Akeroad later becomes Arkwright. I believe that is to do with the accent. The Akeroad/Arkwrights could not read or write and it depended on where the vicar was from how he heard the name and wrote it down. On the 1851 census my 3xgrgrandfather Abraham (son of the above) says he was born in Manchester. According to the Parish records he was born in Bacup in 1788 and was raised in Manchester. I have found Abraham's brothers children baptized in Manchester.
    If anyone is researching this family will you please contact me?

arky2

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Seeking information Arkwright / Akeroad

Hi. Just came upon your post and thought I'd make contact. I am researching my wife's family tree starting with her grandmother, Eileen Ann Pallet (nee Arkwright, 1916 - 2004approx), Richard Arkwright 1831 - 1911 + Ellen Barker, Abraham Arkwright 1788 - 1858 + Mary Thomson, William Akeroad (later Arkwright) 1754 - ? + Betty Dobson 1752 - ?, Samuel Akeroad (sometimes Akeroyd) 1729 - ? + Mary or Ann Lee.

Originally I started doing this out of curiosity as to whether there was a link with Sir Richard Arkwright as my wife's family believed there was but didn't know for sure. So far I have not found one but suspect if I go back far enough there may be one. As such I am trying to go back further than Samuel Akeroad 1729 in attempting to find this link. Once the family tree is established I will go back over the websites looking for info about each of the ancestors. I hope you have found the information you were seeking and look forward to you possibly have more information with the lapse of time.

Regards, Craig Little.