Thread: flowers family

jacquie35

Default flowers family

I have hit a brick wall and was wondering if any one could help me find the parents of Charles William Flowers Born 1845 in Littleport. On his death certificate it has his parents as William Benedict Flowers and Charlotte Cornwall but i don't think this is correct. Charles went to Ohio U.S.A and fought in the Civil war and married Rachel Priest 1871 but i can not find any birth records for him. I would love to get his birth certificate but i need to find out more information about his birth.
    Thanks

sueannbowen

Hi Jaquie
    is that Littleport Cambridge UK? do you have him on any Uk Census? I cannot see a Charles Flowers in either the 1851 or 1861 for Cambridgeshire.

Sue

jacquie35

Smile

Hi thanks for your reply. Yes it is cambridgeshire, UK and i can't find him on any census according to his army records he went to Americia at the age of 16 to fight in the civil war but you would think he would be on one census. For a lot of years we were told his wife was an Americian Indian only to find out she was born in England so i really am just looking at any avenue to find some information.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by jacquie35 View Post
    On his death certificate it has his parents as William Benedict Flowers and Charlotte Cornwall but i don't think this is correct
    Any chance this could be him?

1851 census
    HO107; Piece: 1764; Folio: 725; Page: 22
    Sandhill, Littleport, Cambridgeshire
    Hannah CORNWELL Head Mar 49 Cambs Littleport
    Charles CORNWELL Grandson 5 Cambs Littleport

Births
    Jun Qtr 1845
    CORNWELL Charles
    Ely 14 53

I can't find this Charles in 1861 ...

Kerrywood

jacquie35

Smile

Now that is interesting. William Benedict disappeared from the clergy in 1856.
    You could read a lot into that, it mite have been that his grandmother died and they found his father and he would have had to leave the clergy i guess. 16 is not that young to be a father but it would have been kept very hush hush. and maybe Charles mother might have died in child birth.
    I must have been looking in the wrong place so i guess i need to look at cornwell.
    Thank you so much for your help.