Starting to feel at home

Default Missing from 1901 census

Had such a great help from Adele in Canada yesterday that i thought I would try another of my brickwalls.

John Henry Hone was born 1846 in Banbury, Oxfordshire. He is there in the 1891 census, as a hotel waiter in Tunbridge Kent, missing in 1901. He turns up again in 18911 as an inmate in the Dartford Union Workhouse and shown as a former domestic butler. He was my great grandfather but he and my gt grandmother parted somewhere along the way.

I have done mega wildcard searches on An* but no luck in 1901. I would love it if someone could help me please.

In hope...

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

I notice in 1891 he states his year of birth as 1852. Following through with this, there is a John P Hone (maybe the P is an incorrect entry) in the 1901 census at
    RG13; Piece: 2938; Folio: 96; Page: 18

This john is a domestic butler and says he was born at Clifton, Oxford, which is next to Banbury.
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Sorry, just looked through the GRO births and found that there was a John P Hone birth reg in 1852, so that stuffs up that theory. Have you got the right one in earlier years?
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

Starting to feel at home

Default thanks very much but I don't think this one is mine

Hi I was just check the indexes and the 1891 census too, and this John P is shown elsewhere in that census (RG12; Piece: 2478; Folio 8; Page 9) so I think he's not the right one (very likely the same family though).

I have my one nailed in 1881 at Museum Street, Oxford, as he was still with his wife Jane and the children are right. In 91 Jane turns up with another man and my grandmother in Paddington, so I've got her right. She's shown as his wife but they didn't marry till 1894.

I can't find a likely death for John Henry in the interim and the one in the 1891and 1911 look so good - but I will need to try to track John P in case the two have got confused. In which case I need to look for a death for John Henry again.

Very much appreciate your interest

Lesley

Brick wall demolition expert!

The closest I could find is:

Harry Hanns, servant, married, 48, waiter, b Oxfordshire.

He is living/working at the Earl Amherst estate "Montreal" in Riverhead, Sevenoaks, Kent.

Class: RG13; Piece: 748; Folio: 36

Adele

Starting to feel at home

Default Thanks Adele

Hi Adele, thanks for trying to ehlp! I'm not sure this one is mine, but will bear it in mind. I think I need to go back to the beginning on this one and track more carefully - fingers crossed.

It has occurred to me that he could have enlisted as the second boer war was happening at that time - probably unlikely but one to explore if I still draw a blank.

Kind regards

Lesley