dcmbarton

Default Can anyone read the mother's maiden name?

I'm having trouble reading the mother's maiden name and the address of the father on this birth certificate. Mother's maiden name looks like it could be Jenkins? Registration too place in Gloucester in 1838.

David

hmcullum

Hello

My best guess would be "Inkin" as the initial letter looks different from the J shown on the page. A quick google search shows that Inkin is a surname.

Best of luck
    Helen

hmcullum

Why do I always find the most interesting things after I have posted a reply? ...

Surname: Inkin
    Recorded as Inkin, Inkon, Inkhorn, Inkle and probably others, this is an English surname. It has been quite well recorded in the surviving church registers of the diocese of Greater London since the early Stuart Period. An early recording example is that of Elizabeth Inkin who married William Martyn at the church of St Leonards Shoreditch, on January 7th 1636, whilst almost a century later another Elizabeth, this time as Elizabeth Inkhorn which may or may not be an associated spelling, was christened at St Martins in the Field, Westminster, on October 19th 1714. This was in the first year of the reign of King George 1st (1714 - 1727). Another later recording in the early 19th century is that of William Inkin at St Lukes church, Finsbury, on July 18th 1802. As 'Inkin' has no apparent meaning, the surnames list has been studied to try to find a similar spelling, and hence establish a 'link' with a known surname. This has not been enirely successful. The only comparable names would seem to be the locational Inkersall which was originally Hinkershill, from a place in Derbyshire, or the Lancashire names Adkin or Ikin, both being diminutives of the female name Ada, and meaning 'son of Ada'.

hmcullum

and again ...

just found this on another family history forum:

"The Joseph (Oswell) I have recorded was married to Sarah Inkin July 31, 1825"

Hugh Thompson

It looks like Larkin to me.
    Hugh.

I think it should be Mitre Street. See address of the next family to Joseph on the 1841 census
    Class: HO107; Piece 379; Book: 1; Civil Parish: St Aldgate; County: Gloucestershire; Enumeration District: 6; Folio: 12; Page: 16
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Mutley

Inkin and Mitre Street look good to me.

Valued member of Brit-Gen. Aislin's Avatar

I'm seeing Inkin also. The first letter doesn't have enough of a bottom to be an L or a J.

jeeb

Default Surname

Hi David,
    Basically to agree with previous replies. The surname is almost definitely INKIN, there is a marriage of an Ann Inkin in Bristol in 1816 which puts the name in the area.
    The address says Miter Street but I expect this should be Mitre Street which is backed up by 1841 census.
    Sarah Oswell is missing from 1841 census and is registered dead in Gloucester in 1840 but I'm sure you will already be aware of that.

Jeremy