niglor

Default Mcphersons of St Thomas

Hi there,

My daughter's friend has asked me to try and do her family tree for her. Im starting off with her mother's side as her father is dead and we don't have much info on his side- the Salmon's.

Her mother is a Mcpherson from St Thomas. We can go back a few generations at the moment and I have keyed them in on the IGI and found a couple of Mcpherson's living in St Thomas from the 1700s- a John and William.

I have googled John and found he was a Sugar Cane Plantation owner?

As I only have this info and the latter end of the family I need to know how I go about filling in the middle!

Her mum is called Louris Mcpherson- grandfather is Calvin he married Ivy Bailey and her gt grandfather Granville Mcpherson married Icinda Davis.

Any help or info would be great!

Thank you.

Niglor

Geoffers

As with all research, work methodically and carefully. Ignoring the IGI, what is the furthest back you can along this line for which documentary proof exists?

If this was a wealthy family, do remember to look at soruces such as Wills, The London Gazette, any documents held at Tne National Archives and also try a search of Access to Archives.

Mutley

Do you have any dates?
    Do they appear on any UK census?
    What were the marriage dates and which country did they take place in?

Sorry to ask the questions but as Geoffers said, you need to work back with what you have now. You can only fill in the middle by establishing the parents of Granville and Icinda and their parents.

If you google "West Indian ancestry" there are quite a few hits that offer help and advice including the BBC guide.

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by niglor View Post
    Hi there,

My daughter's friend has asked me to try and do her family tree for her. Im starting off with her mother's side as her father is dead and we don't have much info on his side- the Salmon's.

Her mother is a Mcpherson from St Thomas. We can go back a few generations at the moment and I have keyed them in on the IGI and found a couple of Mcpherson's living in St Thomas from the 1700s- a John and William.

Her mum is called Louris Mcpherson- grandfather is Calvin he married Ivy Bailey and her gt grandfather Granville Mcpherson married Icinda Davis.

Any help or info would be great!

Thank you.

Niglor
    Sorry to be the last one to post, but I am in Canada which puts the posts in the middle of the night for me!!

As Geoffers has said, ignore the IGI......the Mormons don't have much online information of any consequence on the West Indies. My husband is from Jamaica and I found 99% of his ancestry thru their microfilm however.

I was intrigued by the name "Salmon". I have a friend whose maiden name is Salmon and while I haven't attempted to track it, it is not an uncommon name in Jamaica. Any chance the father was from Jamaica?

Good luck and there are news groups and Lists for the West Indies. Google is your friend!!