TerryK

Default Christian names - parish registers

I have just received a copy of a christening of 1835. In column 3 parents christian names the mothers name is jane and below the christian name is Thomas ( reading Jane Thomas) the father is Thomas and Walton is shown in the surname column. Can anyone enlighten me ?
    Regards
    Terry

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by TerryK
    I have just received a copy of a christening of 1835. In column 3 parents christian names the mothers name is jane and below the christian name is Thomas ( reading Jane Thomas) the father is Thomas and Walton is shown in the surname column. Can anyone enlighten me ?
    Regards
    Terry
    If column 3 (parents names) reads

'Thomas
    and
    Jane Thomas'

then it is possible that this is her maiden name - some clerics did record additional detail and not all of them made it clear what they were noting. Do you have a copy of the whole page to see how other mothers' names are recorded?

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Reputation beyond repute

I doubt if you can draw a firm conclusion from that entry.

Jane Thomas might quite simply be her Christian names (eg she used to be Jane Thomas Smith and is now Jane Thomas Walton). Or perhaps it implies something else.

My feeling is that you'll have to research a bit further before you can be certain what it meant.