busyglen

Default Royal Artillery - Charles Edney death

I came across this death which I am posting in case someone happens to look for this at a later date.

"The troops belonging to the various batteries of Royal Artillery quartered at Sheerness Garrison have placed a monument over the tomb of Charles Edney, a trumpeter of the Scottish Division Royal Artillery, who was drowned at Sheerness a few months ago since while attempting to save Trumpeter Bruce from drowning at bathing parade. Edney was interred at the Isle of Sheppy Cemetery."

Sorry, I didn't note the date, but I will have another search and attach it.

Should anyone be interested, please contact me.

Glenys

annlynn9

Thanks for posting this Glenys. For one thing, it's good to know the name Edney has Scottish connections. I've been searching for some evidence of a Widney ancestor who was reported by a descendant (who was born in 1782) to have been given an estate in County Tyrone, Ireland for supporting William of Orange at the 1690 Battle of the Boyne. Years of looking at Irish sources has failed to turn up the name Widney in County Tyrone. Then I stumbled onto a Scottish web page that says the name Udny in Aberdeenshire (the Udny family holding the barony of Udny) is sometime written Widney. Did not find Udny in County Tyrone, but did find Oliver Udny holding land in neighboring County Cavan. Then, while looking for another family entirely, I found that Walter Edney and his brother Thomas Edney were given lands in County Tyrone in the 1610 Ulster plantation, but it said they were English. Talk about circles, but every bit helps to draw a picture. Thanks!
    Loretta

busyglen

Glad that my find helped you albeit in a different way than I intended.

Your post has shown me that I didn't go back and look the date up, so now, I just have to remember `where' I found the information!

Glenys