Joy Handley

Default Pinnocks in Jamaica

I am looking into my family in Jamaica. I can get no further back than my Grandfather Thomas Rickett Pinnock born in Jamaica in 1861 (he died in London in 1922). The Pinnock family originally came from the Isle of Wight.

I would like to know his parents' names and any other information about the family.

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

I just had a look on the IGI for both Pinnock and Rickett and it came up with quite a few for both, but unfortunately not Thomas.
    Did he have any siblings? As they might be listed. Or did he have a second name? He might be listed by this.
    Sue

Heather

Quote Originally Posted by Joy Handley View Post
    I am looking into my family in Jamaica. I can get no further back than my Grandfather Thomas Rickett Pinnock born in Jamaica in 1861 (he died in London in 1922). The Pinnock family originally came from the Isle of Wight.

I would like to know his parents' names and any other information about the family.
    Hi Joy...Pinnock is a hugely common name in Jamaica and I was just looking at Pat Jackson's website and there were probably 200 instances of it on there. This is a *mostly* pay site and I do not belong there at the moment, but do subscribe from time to time. Oh, and Ricketts is extremely common as well. But I did look at some of the free pages and there are still a lot of Pinnocks. The site is jamaicanfamilysearch.com" and I suggest you put the name into the search engine to see just how many there are. Then you can decide for yourself if you want to join for a month. But frankly, the Mormons have excellent records for Jamaica.

If you are near a Mormon Family History Centre, order in films for the Island and you will find they are extremely detailed......far more than ones for England for example. Each Parish (county/shire) has an Index, so it makes life a lot easier!! However, I found the name to be in most of the parishes, so knowing where he was born would be very helpful. There are no online censuses for Jamaica, nor is there much on Family Search.

And I must warn you that there will be a lot of "outside children" carrying the Pinnock name. Wives usually did not accompany their English husbands when they went to Jamaica and they did get a bit lonely.

Hope this gets you on the right track.....I found most of my husband's ancestors thru the Mormon Church microfilm records.

I see that there are tombstones for Pinnock in the Monumental Inscriptions of Jamaica and I do have a copy of that book on my hard drive, so I will look those up. Any more names, dates or places would be most helpful.

Heather

I see that Pinnocks were in Jamaica from the early 1700's and were well-to-do. So if these were your ancestors, you come from rather well-known Jamaican roots. And founding father types as well.

Good luck with your search. It should be pretty straightforward due to their standing on the Island.

Joy Handley

Sue

Many thanks for your search. Thomas' second name was Rickett. I understand that he had a sister possibly Charlotte. Thomas was married to Cynthia Luna Lopez and I have quite a lot of information on the Lopez's. I don't know when they married but their eldest child was born c.1887.

Joy Handley

Heather

Thank you for your suggestions. I used the Mormons in the past but unfortunately I am in my 80s and have osteoporosis and macula degeneration so I cannot get around like I use to. I am just learning my way around the internet with help from my daughter. I will definitely look at the 'free' pages on the website you mentioned.

Joy