Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by AdeleE View Post
    I'm curious... what happened to them after 1891?
    Adele
    I've found them on the 1900 US census, living in Buffalo, New York at 53 Maryland St:

Charles Wood 39, b Feb 1861, England, Brick(?) Maker
    Catherine Wood 31, b Jan 1863, England
    Jessie Wood 12, b Mar 1888, Canada
    James Wood 20, b Jun 1879, Canada, Driver, Grocery
    Albert Wood 14, b Aug 1885, Canada
    Fred Wood 8 b Apr 1892, Canada
    Harold Wood 8/12, b Oct 1899, New York

Charles & Catherine have declared being married 17 years, have had 7 children, 6 still living. Immigration year for the family is 1892.

Begs the question.. Where did they marry? On the 1891 Canadian census, children James & Catherine were born in England. On this census, James is listed as born in Canada, which may be an enumerator error.

Adele

v.wells

You are so good AdeleE Good job for finding them! I started looking and then got sidetracked again on something else and meant to get back to it but you beat me to it. You must have the world sub then as I didn't see anything for 1901. I thought they might have returned to England. You are truly amazing

v.wells

There is an immigration passenger list for 1870, Charles Wood age 10 but doesn't say where the family is headed, or if it is the right Charles. If they arrived in Quebec Charles and Catherine might have met there and married or maybe it was Upper Canada/Cornwall area. Will have a look at the Druin collection.

v.wells

Nothing there. Workhorse must have info on when/where they married and it was probably back in England, but I've yet to find anything.

ET in the USA

In 1910 they are still living at 53 Maryland ST, Buffalo, Erie County, NY
    Charles –male-white-age 49- married -30 years-born Eng-Father b. Eng-Mother b. Eng-yr of Imm 1891- Na [whether naturalized or alien]-Lang. spoken English -Trade or profession, Plaster-General nature of work, Builder- Whether employer, Employee or Working on own account, W-If an employee, whether out of work on April 15, 1910 ?, NO- No. of weeks out of work during 1909, 20- Whether able to read ? , YES- Whether able to write ? , YES- House owned or rented?, R-Farm or house? H
    Catherine age 47 Born Eng - had 7 children 6 living, can read & write, Mother & Father b Scotland,No occupation
    Jessie L. –daughter- age 22 single; Born Eng Canada [Maybe they are trying to say they were born in Canada, but are English citizens also because their parent’s were]-Occ: Collar Worker – General description: Laundry- Worker –Out of work 32 weeks in 1909-Can read & write
    Fredrick – son-age 19-single-Occ: apprentice Printer –General: Lithographer-worker-out of work 6 weeks in 1909-can read & write
    Herslit –son-age 11-B New York-Can read & write & attended school during 1909

*****************Living next door at 55 Maryland ST.
    Albert A Wood – Head-age23-married 4 years-B. Eng Canada-Occ: Machinest –Saw Co.-W-out of work 0 in 1909
    Minnie –wife –age 24-married 4 yrs-1 child born 1 child living-b. New York –Father & Mother b Ireland-No occ-Can read & write
    Albert E. Jr-son-age 3-b New York-

ET in the USA

1910 -Address: 189 State Street, 4-WD Auburn Cayuga County –New York
    Home renter – Edward Carter
    James Wood-boarder –male-white-age 26- single -30 years-born Can English [or maybe they are trying to say they aren’t French Canadians] -Father b. Eng-Mother b. Eng-yr of Imm 1891- Al [whether naturalized or alien]-Lang. spoken English -Trade or profession: Real Estate-General nature of workealer- Whether employer, Employee or Working on own account –can’t read what is written & nothing filled in for weeks out of work- Whether able to read ? , YES- Whether able to write ? YES

Workhorse

What wondeful people you are. Thank you so much for your help. I will now go away and digest this information.

Once again, a very, very big thank you.

James Wood

ET in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by ET in the USA View Post
    1910 -Address: 189 State Street, 4-WD Auburn Cayuga County –New York
    Home renter – Edward Carter
    James Wood-boarder –male-white-age 26- single -30 years-born Can English [or maybe they are trying to say they aren’t French Canadians] -Father b. Eng-Mother b. Eng-yr of Imm 1891- Al [whether naturalized or alien]-Lang. spoken English -Trade or profession: Real Estate-General nature of workealer- Whether employer, Employee or Working on own account –can’t read what is written & nothing filled in for weeks out of work- Whether able to read ? , YES- Whether able to write ? YES

General nature of work should be - Dealer. I have no idea why the big grin appeared there.

ET

Workhorse

Louisa Wood returned to England and is shown in the 1891 and 1901 Census stayiny or visiting family. Records show that she was born in Ontario around 1885.

I can find no other members of the family in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by ET in the USA View Post
    General nature of work should be - Dealer. I have no idea why the big grin appeared there.

ET
    The perils of not leaving a space after a colon when you type a capital D
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast