Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by maesglas/ssclub View Post
    I think you have found who I am looking for Gladys Ruby Butcher born Bedminster 2nd quarter 1894, so the passenger on the 29th August 1958 must I think be her, how sad to see she is still single, but perhaps thats what she wanted, to make doubley sure I will have to get a copy of her birth certificate.

Could you tell me how you looked it up, thanks again.
    The birth should have been registered within 6 weeks, so it does look more likely to be Gladys Ruby rather than Gladys Annie. However, late registrations were not that uncommon, so it could still be Gladys Annie. Getting the birth certificate of Gladys Ruby is the wisest course.

If it is the correct person, then for a woman born in 1894 to stay single all her life would not be that unusual. She would only have been 20 when the 1st WW broke out. Many lost their sweethearts & fiances. With the loss of so many young men of that generation, many women lost the chance of marrying.

I found the information on Ancestry.

Although our Canadian experts have found this thread and produced useful answers, I have moved it from the Brit-Gen Discussion Forum to the Canadian Forum so that it will be easier for people interested in this topic to find it.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Wirral
    I have been waiting news after mailing the people that Mary Anne suggested
    any idea how long it takes, cant stand the suspense
    Robert.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Thanks once again,

I think you have found who I am looking for Gladys Ruby Butcher born Bedminster 2nd quarter 1894, so the passenger on the 29th August 1958 must I think be her, how sad to see she is still single, but perhaps thats what she wanted, to make doubley sure I will have to get a copy of her birth certificate.
    Were you able to obtain this birth record, to confirm that this was your Gladys Butcher?

Adele

Hi Adel
    Still waiting for certificate, and for info back from canada via Mary-Anne, although I have added another two children to the list.
    Robert

Lynda Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    maesglas/ssclub

Here is Gladys arriving on the Tunisian at Montreal from Liverpool (Film#T-487):

Gladys Butcher, age 11.
    'Mr. Merry's party...of Children. Destination Stratford Ont.
    Mr. Merry accompanied children sent out under the auspices of Annie MacPherson, to the home in Stratford that she ran. My ancestors came to Canada under her care and were taken to Stratford.

The MacPherson records are in the care of Barnardo's and are not as complete as I understand the actual Barnardo files are. You can send an email to the Barnardo folks and they will send you the documents via email that you need to complete to get the information. You have to prove that you are the nearest living direct descendant and pay a fee for the service.

Lynda

Hi Lynda Marie

Thank for the advice, but I already have these forms, I did contact them and about a week or so later they sent me the forms.

My problem now is that my older brother is the person who would have to sign the forms, and as yet he has not made up his mind if he will sign or not.

First, he is of a very nervous disposition, Second, he lived with our nan for quite a few years (my nan is these childrens mother) and was so well looked after by her, he would hate to find out anything that might put my nan in a bad light, if you know what I mean.

He is at the moment, thinking only the worse, and I am trying find out bits and bobs that might convince him otherwise, I think they just fell on hard times and I have been unable to trace anything about the childrens father George Arthur Butcher, was he killed, died, or perhaps done a bunk, all I can do for now is to keep searching and hope I can find information that will some how convince my brother.
    Thank you once again
    Robert Purnell.

Hi again Lynda Marie

I have today, finally got the cert for Gladys Ruby Butcher, I had applied to the wrong registry office and it was sent back to me, so I sent off again on Tuesday and just recieved it, d.o.b 6th may 1894, so this will not match up with the incoming passenger Gladys Butcher Apr 1894, in 1958.
    But as there were only two born of this name in that year I find it hard to believe its the other one, july,Aug, Sep, quarter 1894, unless it was very late,? two months late?, back to square one.

On a happier note I did find out what happened to Millicent Butcher born 1901 and have decided to put this in a new thread and hope it creates some more interest and give some hope to others looking and hoping for good news.
    Robert.

Default Happy news for British Home children Canada

Hi every one
    I recently discovered that my nan had another child whilst searching the poor records of the Newport Union, her name Millicent Butcher born Newport Wales 1901, she was the last of four children all of whom I believe ended up as British Home Children sent to Canada, I have found out some information about two of the other three (see my other posts).

Millicent was sent to Canada in 1912 aged 11 years, Edward Kenneth Leach born Scotland February 6th 1897 was sent to Canada 1914 aged 17 years.

You guessed it, they married in St Catherines Canada 1923 and then moved to America, Buffalo New York and on the 1930 Census they have two sons Ernie aged 5 years last birthday and thomas aged 2 years last bithday, they own their own house (estimated value $9,000 ) he is a carpenter/builder and works for himself and live in Chicargo.

Only down thing is, the last son died 2007, would have loved to contact him.

So its not all bad news, my eyes are filling up so I cant type much more, but whoopee) )
    Robert Purnell
    and as for the others, my search goes on ever more hopeful.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default A suggestion...

My problem now is that my older brother is the person who would have to sign the forms, and as yet he has not made up his mind if he will sign or not.
    Just wondering - would he be willing to sign the forms, and just hand the reply over to you, unopened, when it arrives, so that he doesn't have to see any information if he doesn't want to? And who knows, there mightn't be anything to be worried about!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast