Mary S (WA)

Default Distant relatives

I travelled to County Mayo from Australia (via London) in the forlorn hope that I might find a distant relative. I called in to the local shop in Ballycroy and asked if there were any Bradleys still living in the area. As a result I found a distant cousin who was able to show me the old stone cottage in which my great grandfather once lived. In nearby Knockmoyleen I also found the cottage in which my grandfather was born and raised. The old cottages, once thatched, are only used for animal shelters now. Sadly few people live there - every one else has long gone to Scotland, England, USA and even Australia. Even the local Priest was away so I could not access any records, although I was thrilled to see the Church were they were baptised and married.
    Having used all the help I could get from this site I was able to show my daughter where her family roots came from.
    Happy hunting all!!
    Mary

v.wells

Mary - I hope you took plenty of photos of your ancestors' homes and the church and that you were able to get an email address of the local priest so that perhaps he can/or someone else can look up the information for you. I hope you had a good holiday while you were there. That's a long way to travel.

MythicalMarian

That's a lovely story, Mary - I'm so glad your journey wasn't wasted. Hopefully, you'll keep in touch with your newly discovered cousin.