hardyi

Default Ernest Lawe of Boston in the Royal Horse Artillery

I am attaching photos of my grandfather Ernest Lawe (1896-1974). He was in the army for 10 years circa 1915-1925. I am particularly interested in the photo of a group of soldiers, some of whom are holding walking sticks. They seem to be having a bit of fun in a light-hearted moment. Ernest is 3rd from the left on the front row. Does anyone have any information about these men or the circumstances of the photo? On another photo he is seen leaning against the wheel of a gun carriage with 2 colleagues standing next to him. Again, does anyone have any information please?

Procat

The bottom photo appears to be a group of soldiers dressed in "Hospital Blues".

These were issued to men while they were convalescing from wounds in England.

The uniform was light blue, white shirt with a red tie.

hardyi

Thanks for that Procat, this is new knowledge for me, and gives a lead to what may have happened to Ernest during the war. I will follow this up, it probably explains the walking sticks. Many thanks, regards hardyi.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Hardyi

Firstly let me say that the army is not really my strength, I'm more a navy man. However, I did check the WW1 medal roll, and the only Ernest Lawe I could find in the artillery served with the Royal Garrison Artillery, not the RHA.

On your second photograph, although the image is rather indistinct, he does appear to be wearing medal ribbons, this would certainly put the photograph after the end of the first world war. This is supported by the two long service stripes on his left arm, which denote service of six years or longer, but less than ten.

Regards

Martin

hardyi

Martin, thanks for your post. This could well be my grandfather, the only info I have really is taken from the obituary column in the local newspaper, which mentions the RHA, and I also have a picture of him in uniform sitting on a horse, albeit unsaddled, so it could be he just took the opportunity to be photographed, and as he would have been 18 at the start of the war, and served 10 years, the photo with the gun carriage would have been after the war, this fits in with what you have told me about his uniform. I know he was out by 1925 as that is when he maried my grandmother.

Geoffers

If your chap continued to serve in the army after WW1; his service record should have survived. The National Archives is a good place to start looking for information. For example, this page tells you about post-1913 army service records. Scroll forn the page until you find 'Service Records (1920-present)'

hardyi

Thanks Geoffers, will follow your advice thro'.