Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LorraineJ

Default How to I find my great grandmother's maiden name?

Would this be on my grandmother's birth certificate if I got hold of a copy of that? Is there any other way of getting this information?

That is the only way you will be really certain you have the right person. You don't say when your grandmother was born. If it was after July 1911 then the mother's maiden name will be on the GRO index, available on pay per view sites or free at most large public libraries.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Wirral

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    If it was after July 1911 then the mother's maiden name will be on the GRO index, available on pay per view sites or free at most large public libraries.
    FreeBMD is a free searchable index of the GRO index & is now pretty good up to about 1930.
    Depending where you live, there are local registration offices which are putting their BMD indexes free online & some that include the mother's maiden name in their birth search (going back to 1837, not just 1911). It is a bit hit & miss at the moment, but BathBMD is complete & there are some for around the Lancaster/Preston area. https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/index.php?form_action=local

LorraineJ

I do know the locality of where my grandmother was born. Her miaden name was Lilias Helen Smith and she was born Sept 1895 in Leatherhead, Surrey

The birth is registered as:

Q3 Epsom 2a 29

The death of her mother is recorded as:

Q1 1904 Helen Smith 38 Epsom 2a 35

They are both buried at St Mary and St Nicholas Church, Leatherhead

I have a fair idea of my grandmother's father's side of the family but know nothing of her mother's.

SBSFamilyhistory

Lorraine, what was Helen's husband's name?

From this we should be able to trace the marriage.

Sue

PS I have had quick look at freebmd from 1890 to 1896 for marriages in Epsom with one person having the family name smith, there were only two. I have discounted one as the smith was female. The second is shown below.

Marriages Dec 1890
    Joliffe Helena Epsom 2a 25
    Smith William Epsom 2a 25

fingers crossed.

LorraineJ

Unfortunately that isn't the right Smith, his name was Albert and he was born in Capel, Surrey in about 1861. According to the 1891 census he was still living with his parents, therefore it would appear that he was married sometime after. There are two Albert Smith marriages in 1894, but which one is the right one?

Thomasin

(Referring to SBSFamilyhistory) - That's strange, because IGI gives Helena Joliffe (father Henry Simmons) marrying Thomas Wise, one of the others on the page.

Thomasin

SBSFamilyhistory

Hi Lorraine, I have widened the search to Surrey and added Albert to the search.

this is what I have found.

Marriages Dec 1893
    Farnham 2a209
    Bick Helen
    Smith Albert

unfortunately there is nothing on IGI

Sue

SBSFamilyhistory

Quote Originally Posted by Thomasin View Post
    (Referring to SBSFamilyhistory) - That's strange, because IGI gives Helena Joliffe (father Henry Simmons) marrying Thomas Wise, one of the others on the page.

Thomasin
    I have had so many problems with IGI I didn't check it.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi

Reading through the info above and checking the 1901 census (RG13/585/74/10), where it tells us Helen was born in Camberwell I have looked for the Helen Bicks of the marriage that Sue (SGSfamilyhistory) has referred to.

I believe Sue has the right marriage, as looking at the 1881 census for Helen (RG11/796/101/58), she is a 15 yr old born Camberwell, Surrey. (Can't find her on 1891 but could be mistranscribed).

Her birth ref (checked on FmyP as FreeBMD had two references):
    Helen Bicks, Mar 1866, Camberwell, 1d, 564.

I would initially send for Lilian's birth certificate to double-check the maiden name of her mother before I sent for other certs.

Regards
    Sue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast