Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Default EDWARD LAWRENCE LEVY-SOLICITOR

As part of my research into the Levy links to Crawcour and Jacobs I have noted amongst my distant Jacobs cousins data the relationship between Charlotte Levy who married Edward Lawrence Levy b abt 1828 ( also used Laurence as a middle name. Charlotte Levy was the daughter of Daniel Levy and Amelia Jacobs ( Amelia Jacobs daughter of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses).

Edward was the son of Lawrence ( Laurence) Levy a Sheriff's Officer who had married Rebecca Jacobs ( daughter of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses).

The details of Edward appear in a range of documents including his Old Bailey Trials and in other sources including the London Gazette.
    Edward and two of his sons Daniel and Henry were given prison sentences and one of Edward's brothers (unnamed) appears to have been a wealthy person in Australia.

One of my distant cousins on the Jacobs line has completed further research into the families and the Levy lines also link to the Turnpike Levy's.

Edward Lawrence Levy was at one time a solicitor- in 1855 he was listed as a bankrupt formerly at 2 Doughty St; 98 Guildford St Gray's Inn Rd; 2 Falcon Court Fleet St and in 1855 at 37 Gt. Coram Street Russell Square Attorney at Law.

In 1847 Lawrence Levy, Edward's father, appeared as a witness in an Old Bailey Trial and said he had been a Sheriff's Officer for over 25 years.

In 1853 David Lawrence Levy and Edward Lawrence Levy dissolved their partnership - they had been in partnership since 1850- I do not know if they were brothers and whether or not if they were it was David who went to Australia.

In 1875 Edward was again bankrupt as a law clerk and agent at 28 Leicester Square and 53 Sutherland Gardens. He was also stuck off as a solicitor.

Any researchers with knowledge or links to the families see the jacobstree website which contains more details on Edward and his siblings and his own family.

Phillip

Default EDWARD LAURENCE LEVY ALIAS EDWARD LEWIS

In the Old Bailey online trials 23 May 1892 Edward Lewis age 67 was one of the defendants for theft. In the his son Edward Levy appeared as witness stating that he was a cabinet maker and upholster. He also confirmed that Edward Lewis was his father and a money lender since 1888 ( the court was told that Edward Lewis and Edward Laurence Levy were one in the same person). The son also stated that his father lived in Highgate with his daughter and that another son called Bertie lived in St Paul's Road.

A further witness Benjamin Hart said that he was a second cousin to Edward Levy alias Edward Lewis. Benjamin had lived at 2 Mecklenburg Street for 10 years. Benjamin had been a military tailor as his father had also been.
    Benjamin Hart is the son of John Hart and Elizabeth Jacobs my 3x great grandparents.Elizabeth Jacobs is one of the daughters of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses. The Jacobs are the Litzen/Letson line.

Phillip

In this trial Edward Lewis/Edward Laurence Levy received 5 years imprisonment.

Default LAURENCE LEVY

Laurence Levy father of Edward Laurence Levy appears in Jewishgen London trade directory - Laurence Levy and Co ( Sheriff's Officer) 17 Norfolk St Strand and 16 Fetter Street 1846
    Phillip

Default LAWRENCE (LAURENCE)LEVY

There is a 1848 record of Lawrence Levy of Fetter Lane and Charles Lewis ( otherwise Levy) attorney and bill discounter 9 Grosvenor St Bond St. Both are wanted by the court for fraud.

I believe that Charles is Lawrence ( Laurence) brother and that is was no coincidence that in 1892 Edward Lawrence Levy used the surname Lewis when he was tried.
    In the 1881 census Edward L Levy is an accountant with his family at 38 Lancaster Road London Middlesex:
    Edward L Levy 53 b London accountant
    Charlotte wife 51 b Surrey
    Amelia dau u 29 Professor of Singing ( music)
    Daniel son u 26 Articled clerk
    Harry son u 24 ""
    Edward son u 20 ""
    Fred son u 18 ""
    Albert son 16 u scholar
    Nathan u 14 scholar

Edward Levy and his wife Charlotte are double first cousins as their fathers were brothers and their mothers sisters. Edward's mother is the daughter of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses my 4x great grandparents.
    Henry and Kitty's son Lewis married Rawner Simmonds.

When Daniel Levy and Amelia Jacobs were married at the New Synagogue it was the same day as Godfrey Abrahams who married Rachel Simmons.
    It is highly possible that Rachel's mother was a Levy.

Phillip

Nb These families all relate to Crawcour/Hart/Jacobs and any researchers and distant relatives should look at the links between the posts made on Jewish Roots

RDWard

Edward Lawrence Levy (ELL) was a cousin of one of my wife's ancestors. He seems to have been notorious. ELL's first fraudulent activity seems to have been collecting bad debts, telling the creditor that they were irrecoverable when they were not, and diverting the proceeds for his own use. This is what he got 18 months for in May 1879, but as noted above, he is back home by the time of the 1881 census.
    He then acted as an injury lawyer, claiming compensation for victims of accidents, especially from railway and omnibus companies, providing witnesses to support the claims by paying them to commit perjury. Also, as he was no longer a solicitor himself, he notionally worked as a clerk for solicitors who gave him free rein to carry out his own business in their names (ELL probably brought them lots of business), firstly a Mr Fisher who died in 1878, and then a Mr Micklethwaite who himself was later struck off for his association with ELL. ELL got 5 years for fraud and perjury in 1882. For an interesting account of this injury scheme see the editorial in The Times of Monday, 11th December, 1882, page 9.
    In 1892, aged 67, he got another 5 years for receiving stolen curtains from a man called Brett who was stealing them from his employer. I don't yet know what happened after that. He and his family are hard to trace because they used other surnames such as Lewis and Lawrence, and seem to have moved freely between England, the continent and America, but it is fascinating and I am still working on it.
    Robert Ward

Default EDWARD LAURENCE LEVY

Robert-I had noted your data on the Jacobstree website and contacted Carol Freeman who is related to the Jacobs/Levy lines as I am. We both look forward to seeing if you get any further data on Edward particularly if he settled in America. Carol's Levy line moved to America as you will know from the website and I am very interested in identifying any earlier Levy links via Edward's father.
    Phillip

RDWard

Phillip
    I've managed to trace quite a lot of information about other branches of Edward Lawrence Levy's ancestry (with a great deal of help from my late father-in-law's research carried out in the 1960s), but it is hard going. As stated above, ELL's parents were Lawrence Levy (c1803 - 28th October 1873) and Rebecca Jacobs (c1804 - 30th September 1874). I remain to be convinced that ELL's wife's father, Daniel, was also his uncle - in other words ELL and his wife do seem to be cousins on the maternal Jacobs side, but I am uncertain about them also being cousins on the paternal Levy side. One aspect of this problem is that ELL's grandmother (Lawrence Levy's mother), Elizabeth Nathan (c1783 - 12th November 1859), appears to have married twice, and possibly both her husbands were Levys. Her second husband was William Levy (c1770 - 28th March 1843), but ELL's father Lawrence Levy, and his uncle Charles Lewis (c1801 - 23rd November 1864, my wife's ancestor), to whom ELL was articled in the 1840s before falling out with him, appear to have been fathered by a previous husband because they are described in newspapers as William Levy's step-sons. Elizabeth's will identifies 11 other children going by the name of either Levy or Lewis, but I have not found all their dates of birth, or the date Elizabeth married William Levy, so it is not clear which of Elizabeth's husbands was their father. She does not name a Daniel as one of her children, so if there was a Daniel who was brother to Lawrence and Charles Levy, then one speculative possibility could be that he was fathered by William Levy but to a previous wife, which would make things even more complex and confusing than they already are. I did have one small success yesterday, though, ELL's (second?) son, William Levy, born 14th February 1853, turns up in the 1911 census as William Lawrence (58), a chartered accountant, at 11 Elfindale Road, Herne Hill. There is an Old Bailey case on 26th April 1880 that places him as ELL's son.
    Robert

Robert
    Your latest data is very interesting particularly in relation to Daniel Levy. When I was last at the Society of Genealogists I got a copy of the 'Turnpike Levy' family tree written by Colyer Ferguson. I had also met Carole Freeman and Peter Wales at S.O.G. and I know Carole on her last visit to London obtained further data. Daniel Levy appeared as one of the brothers of Nathaniel, Lewis, Moses and I have posted this data on this site under the Turnpike Levy- Jewish Roots- you might care to take a look.

My interest in the Levy lines is more wide spread than the Levy/Jacobs because I also have other Levy linked to my Crawcour lines and again I have posted data on them on this site. My 5th cousin removed Pat Coppel in Australia is convinced that the various families interrelate and I suspect he is right.

Many thanks for your help in discovering this new information.
    Carole and I are related via are mutual 4 x great grandparents Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses and back to David Letson and his wife Jane our 5x great grandparents.
    Carole will be especially interested in the Daniel Levy question!
    Phillip

Robert
    As a follow up on Daniel Levy the Synagogue Scribes site has the marriage of Daniel Levy to Amelia Jacobs 3 March 1824. Daniel's father's Hebrew Name is given as Yehuda n/n Leib HaLevi. I have not done an Advanced search on the Hebrew name to see if it connects with other individuals but I would welcome your comments.
    Phillip

Default JUDAH HaLevi- SARAH BAT NATHAN

Robert
    On Carole Freeman's Jacobs data base records that the parents of Daniel Levy b abt 1793 died 1861 were Judah HaLevi and Sarah bat Nathan
    I have looked on Synagogue Scribes for the marriage of Elizabeth Nathan to a Levy/Levi and note 1821 Elizabeth Nathan married David Levi ( father Yehuda Leib - O Co Van Sluy) However,this Elizabeth would have been 38 years old if she was the same Elizabeth who married William Levy and Daniel was born abt 1793.
    Daniel's father was recorded as Yehudah Leib Ha Levi in the 1824 marriage to Amelia Jacobs.
    I wonder if there are further sources on the Nathan/Levy at S.O.G. that would help unravel the relatiosnships.
    Phillip

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast