Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default THE TURNPIKE LEVY- FAMILY TREES

Following a visit to the Society of Genealogists London I made copies of the Colyer Ferguson records on the 'Turnpike Levy' families. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information but I am listing a range of data which might prove of interest to those researching the families. The key names on the family trees relate to:
    Lewis Levy; Moses Levy, Nathaniel Levy; Daniel Levy who are recorded as brothers but there is no name of the father or mother.
    This is the data:
    Lewis Levy of 55 Tavistock Square b 1786 d 23 Nov 1856 b Brady Street married twice
    1 Dove? d 15 May 1842 2 wife not named
    Children of 1st wife:
    Jonas Levy b 1812 d 7 July 1894 b Ramsgate
    Lewis Levy b1818 d 7 sept 1848

Moses Levy m ?
    of 53 Tavistock Square b 1787 d 28 March 1870
    children:
    Lewis Levy b 1837 d Dec 1863

Nathaniel Levy m Sophie?
    of 3 Upper Montague St Russell Square b 1788 d 13 Oct 1860 b West Ham

Daniel Levy m Amelia ( Jacobs) b ? d 10 May 18?
    Children:
    Catherine Viriginia m George H Russell
    Ernest

Nb Daniel Levy is the ancestor of Carol Freeman ( one of the Jacobs glass/china lines)

Further separate notes from Colyer Ferguson record:
    Family of Nathaniel Levy of 1 Upper Montague St Russell Square b 1788 d 13 Sept 1860 and his wife Sophia- who died 4 Nov 1860 both buried West Ham Cemetery
    Children:
    Catherine 1818-1902 married 9 July 1847 - Lawrence Hyam
    ( not readable the 2nd child)
    Belen? Helen? 1822-1843 married 12 March 1851 - Lewis Bir...tingl?
    Eliza married 25 Oct 1865 Benedictus L Leman
    Charlotte Sophia 1827-1907 married 13 March 1861 -Henry Cowan
    Marion married 25 Oct 1865 Samuel Cowan
    Rosetta 1838-1861 married 6 June 1859 Ernest Hart M.D.

West Ham Cemetery tombstones:
    The Memorial inscription for Sophia Levy wife of Nathaniel records
    Sacred to the memory of Sophia the beloved wife of Mr Nathaniel Levy who departed this life on the 4 November A.M.5621 Aged 64 years

There are 2 other similar stones to
    Rosetta Mrs Ernest Hart

Eliza widow of Laurence Levy died February 6 1891-5651 aged 79 years

Sacred to the memory of Mr Nathaniel Levy who departed this life on 13 September A.M.5620aged 73 years

Sacred to the memory of Laurence Levy
    died January 4 A.M.5633 aged 61 years

There is a separate Levy family tree which links in with the Pedigree of Mr Mortimer Woolf and Colyer Ferguson has also on the same page the family tree ? Mandelson and his son Joseph and his son Nathan Mandelson but the links between Levy and Woolf are not made explicit although the Mandelson line connects to Cohen and Nathan through marriage.

Colyer Ferguson on this Levy family tree records another brother of Lewis, Nathaniel, Daniel, Moses who is named as Eleazer but there is no further data.
    On this tree Lewis Levy of 53 Tavistock Square m Dove? has another son Woolf Levy of 7 Tavistock Square Newington Surrey d 1829 m Martha?
    Children:
    Woolf,Lewis, Rose, David

If any researchers have further data please let me know.
    Phillip

of 22 Hunter Street Brunswick Square b1796 d 28 ? 1860

Default LEVY, HART, COWAN,LEMAN-RELATIVES

In Berger 1861-70 there are records of the marriages of the daughters of Nathaniel and Sophia Levy which include:
    The marriage in 1865 of Samuel Cowan of Sydney NSW 2nd son of Lewis Cowan to Marion Levy youngest surving daughter of Nathaniel and sophia Levy and records of 2 births of a son and daughter to Samuel and Marion in Sydney NSW 1866;1868
    The records also show the relationships between Henry Cowan of Barnes who married Charlotte Sophia Levy daughter of Nathaniel and Sophia in 1861 and the birth of a daughter in 1866 Kensington Park; marriage of Eliza Levy in 1865 to Benedictus L Leman;
    and reference to Dr Ernest Hart and his wife Rosetta who died 7/11/1861 - these records confirm the range of data recorded by Colyer Ferguson on the Nathaniel Levy family.
    Phillip

Dom1

Default Re: Levy

Hi Philip,

I was always led to believe through Pamela Brunel Cohen's research ('The Cohen & Levy Family In England & Australia 1660-1990' privately published in 1990) that both Benjamin Wolfe Levy and Moses Lionel Turnpike Levy were Lewis & Dore's children. Interestingly, PBC' research gives Lewis only 2 brothers Judah & ELeazar. Lewis' parents are, according to PBC, Moses & Elizabeth of Upper Smithfield Road, London. I have now found another source - a distant cousin, who claims Lewis & Dore were childless. I have written to the person and included the information you found in the Colyer-Ferg records as well as those of PBC's and asked her to provide more info.

Dominic

Default THE LEVY FAMILIES

Many thanks Dominic for your reply. If you look on my postings for Edward Lawrence Levy you can see further relationships to the 'Turnpike Levy' lines. I have yet to piece all the relationships together and my distant cousin Carole Freeman in America is related to these lines via Daniel Levy who married Amelia Jacobs and to me via our mutual Jacobs family ( see also the Jacobs china and glass manufacturer postings). It is also my belief that I have Levy connections possibly via my 5x great grandmother Rebecca who married Samuel Crawcour but this is speculation and needs proving particularly as to whether or not she links to Carole and the Turnpike Levy.

I would welcome further sharing of data with you and other researchers.
    Phillip

Default NATHANIEL AND LEWIS LEVY

For Dominic and other Levy researchers here are some English Census entries for Nathaniel and Lewis Levy:
    1841 Census
    Brompton Square
    Nb Nathaniel and Lewis are on the same page of the census
    Lewis Levy 50 Independent b in county
    Lewis 20 solicitor b in county
    Dove 35 in county

Nathaniel Levy 50 Toll Collector b in county
    Sophia 40
    Catherine 20
    Rachael 20
    Ellen 15
    Elizabeth 15
    Rosetta

1851 Census
    55 Tavistock Square
    Lewis Levy m 63 Toll Collector b Stratford Essex
    Rebecca wife 25 b Middx
    Jonas son U 38 Toll Collector
    Jonas Levy nephew U 20 Clerk to Stock broker
    Jane Davis visitor U 24
    all born Middx

1861 Census
    55 Tavistock Square
    Jonas Levy Head U 46 Barrister at Law
    Rebecca Levy widow 32
    Jane Davis U 40 fund holder
    Benjamin Mosely U 9 Scholar
    all born Middx

I will fill in more data as I research
    Phillip

Geoffers

The references for the census returns provided by Phillip above are:

1841 - HO107/690/11 f9 p12 - (Nathan and Lewis)
    1851 - HO107/1494 f748 p19
    1861 - RG9/103 f53 p25
    (references are to census returns in care of The National Archives).

Phillip, note that The National Archives administers the Crown Copyright on census returns.
    Crown copyright has been relinquished provided that the full census reference is given and that the name of the repository is provided. So, whenever you provide details of a census return, you do need to include the reference and source (which apart from anything else is good practice anyway).

"6. The waiver of copyright is, however, subject to the following conditions being observed:
    That the source of the Crown Material is provided by quoting the archival document reference and the name of the Public Record Repository where the records are held on any copies of the material which are to be made available to the public and in any publication or broadcast reproducing or using the Material"

(Source - TNA pdf file 'Copyright in public records')

See this TNA link for further guidance on copyright

Default LEWIS LEVY PROBATE 1857

The following is a brief summary of the will of Lewis Levy who left Probate 21 Jan 1857. A full copy of his will ( it truns to 20 pages with codicils) can be obtained from the UK National Archived Ref: PROB 11/2244. In addition, Synagogue Scribes have a PCC extract on their website with links to other members of the 'Turnpike Levy' families. The will confirms that Nathaniel and Daniel Levy were brothers of Lewis. In particular, there are two references to Daniel Levy in which Lewis names him as his brother and cites his address in the Old Kent Road Surrey. The London PO Directory 1848 records Daniel Levy china and glass dealer 30 Surrey Place Old Kent Road. The Synagogue Scribes record also records Daniel as a brother of Lewis and Nathaniel.
    A much earlier reference on British Jewry Archives postings had referred to a transcription of the Lewis Levy will but mistakenly had recorded Daniel as David and discounted any relationship. See Cemetery Scribes Person ID 16322 Daniel Levy for reference to the family which further links to the Jacobs China and Glass dealers/manufacturers postings.
    A summary of Lewis's will names his first wife Elizabeth known as Dove and his second wife Rebecca ( surnames unknown). Lewis left bequests to his nieces Catherine, Rachel, Ellen, Eliza, Charlotte, Marian, Rosetta all daughters of his brother Nathaniel. Bequests also left to his step son Jonas Levy and nephes Jonas Levy; Lewis Levy sons of Nathaniel. Bequests to Julia his sister wife of Abraham Hart dentist; Jane Davis sister of his wife Rebecca; Benjamin Mosely nephew of his wife Rebecca; Sophia wife of his brother Nathaniel and a range of bequests to servants and associates. The bequests were significant sums to relatives.
    I will cite further data on the lines later.
    Phillip
    The will summary

Dom1

Hi Phillip,

my cousin (not a member here) has recently read this thread and wishes me to pass on this information

Re: Lewis Levy’s first wife Elizabeth, “but known as Dore/Dove”.

"I don’t know the date of the marriage of Lewis and Dore, but according to her certificate of death which I have, she was 42 when she died in 15 May 1842. If she was the mother of Jonas who was born in 1813/14 then she was almost impossibly young. I believe Lewis married three times, once to Elizabeth, once to Dore and then to Rebecca. Her occupation was “wife of Lewis Levy, gentleman” and she died of fever. Present at the death was Lucy Williams. I wonder where the information came from that Elizabeth and Dore were once and the same."

I should point out that both my cousin and I are the descendants of:

Woolf Levy and Martha?
    Their children being Lewis, Rose and David (see post #1)

Re: Nathan Mandelson, I'm unsure of how many children he had but most of his grand-children are / were my blood cousins.

But to make absolutely clear to present and future genealogists researching Woolf Levy and wife Martha (daughter of Elezear Zissel Ha-Levi); he is not a relative of the Turnpike Levys or at least there is no evidence other than the tree drawn up first by Colyer Fergusson and it's subsequent duplication in my cousin PBC's book 'The Cohen & The Levy Families In England & Australia'. If he were a relative then he was certainly not the son of Lewis & Dore, as he was born in 1773, 27 years before Dore was born.

On another thread I started I dis discover via Phillip that 2 of my Van Praagh cousins, who have nothing what so ever to do with the family of Woolf Levy, married daughters of one of these Turnpike's, Moses.

Dominic
    Here are original newspaper accounts of Lewis Levy which include his own death and that of his wife Dove:
    The Morning Post Tues May 17 1842-On the 15th inst, Dove the beloved wife of Lewis Levy Esq of 55 Tavistock Square

Is this the death of Lewis's wife Elizabeth? The Examiner Sunday July 24 1825- On the 19th inst Mrs Elizabeth Lewis wife of Lewis Levy of Brompton

Death of Lewis-The Morning Chronicle Wed Dec 3 1856
    On the 30th ult Lewis Levy Esq of 55 Tavistock Square aged 70

I will fill in other data for researchers based on primary sources.
    Phillip

Dominic
    Just realised Elizabeth Lewis death in 1825 could not be one in the same with Dove. Note also in the will of Lewis Levy he refers to Jonas 1812-1894 as his step son.
    Here is data on Jonas Levy son of Nathaniel from The Myer Solomon Circumcision Register-1355 On Friday the eve of the holy Sabbath 17 Menahem "590" I circumcised Jonah b Nathan Ha Levi (Brompton);Jonas son of Nathaniel Levy ( Turnpike); 6th August 1830.
    Phillip

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast