Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dominic
    With regard to#8 and the issue of Jonas Levy step son of Lewis. As you know I hold a copy of the original will of Lewis see National Archives PROB 11/2244/379 - suggest you down load this copy for you and your cousin- cost £3-36 - 3 pages
    What is very clear from the will is the comment from Lewis himself about Jonas..."Jonas Levy of 55 Tavistock Square the son of my first wife Elizabeth by her first husband Joseph Levy... my said step son".

What do you make of this?
    Phillip

Dominic
    Is this the first marriage of Elizabeth wife of Lewis? Synagogue Scribes HSM028-March 8 1812- Joseph Levy Wapping father Aharon HaLevi to Elizabeth Jonas -father Jonah Pencil Maker. The Jonas name plus approx date of birth for Jonas Levy might suggest possible connection. Needs veryifying.
    Phillip

Dom1

Hi Phillip, I will direct my cousin (who lives in Australia) to this thread and pass on what she says. The Turnpike Levys and The Levys who added an e before the Y are the bane of my family tree, so much time has been spent researching whether or not these famlies are related to my Levys they feel like family. I blame it all on Colyer Fergusson I really envy families who can trace their generations back prior to census records!

Dominic
    I will keep 'plugging away' at these lines because as you know they relate to my Jacobs line. Will post data as I uncover more. As you rightly say Colyer Fergusson and Hyamson have a lot to answer for but at least supplied data to be checked/verified. Good game!
    Phillip

Dominic and other researchers- for data on Woolf Levy ( Benjamin Woolf) 1773-1829 see National Archives UK Probate 11/1753/138
    Woolf Levy of Newington Surrey - 3 pages; Cemetery Scribes for records on the death of Woolf plus his family Person ID 1590;
    See also the British Jewry Posts " Dore,Dove Levy Family Links 2 March 2008 ( is this your Australian cousin posting Dominic plus my very early posts on the subject); See British Jewry "Solomon London Query" 15 Oct 2006 posts plus the published version of the detailed post which refers to Woolf.
    Phillip

Dominic and others
    Free BMD has the marriages in Sept qtr 1843 London 2 175 and March qtr 1851 St Lukes 2 295 which include reference to a Lewis Levy and Rebecca. There is no indication without buying the marriage certificates to indicate which Lewis and which Rebecca. However, the 1843 includes reference to a Rebecca Barnett and the 1851 to a Rebecca Isaacs. Rebecca who married Lewis Levy appears in the 1851 Census at 55 Tavistock Square with Lewis and she is age 25 b Middx London suggesting a dob circa 1826.
    The 1841 Census which includes Dove and Lewis but no Jonas plus the 1851 census and the will of Lewis Levy confirms 3 marriages- Elizabeth; Dove; Rebecca
    Phillip

Dom1

Yes, Phillip that is indeed my cousin. We have the will of Woolf Levy (it is actually only half a page - if that) which unfortunately tells us nothing. Everything Woolf had he left to wife Martha; there are 2 signatures: Lyon Levy who was either his brother or that of his wife Martha's and what appears to be E Levy - have no idea who he is as Woolf Levy has no known siblings or rather no proven siblings. The Barnett Cohen found in that post is my grt x3 grandfather - one of Mortimer Woolf's children is a Mandelson / Cohen descendant and hence appears on my tree.

That said, I read in post 1204380387 in British Jewry Archives that "Woolf Levy married Martha Levy ( daughter of his brother Eleazer)" I've never seen or heard that before. Eleazer was (we believe from synagogue records) the father of Martha and Sarah. I don't know what to think about this, presumably Phillip that info was sourced from The Colyer-Fergusson tree? (Or have I mis-read the post as I am want to do). If so then my late cousin who drew up the trees of Cohen and Levy dd not give that any credence and believed Wolfe and Martha to be first cousins.

Is it possible to surmise or quote from The Solomon London query regarding Wolfe Levy? I can't find any mention of him.

Dominic
    I have been away. Just as a recap- on the Cohen and Cassirer Website Jim Falk has posted data on Benjamin Wolfe Levy and his
    marriage to Martha with Lewis Wolfe/Eliezer Ha Levi Levy 1815-1885 m Julia Solomon. Eliezer being 1st cousin to Samuel, David and Lewis Cohen. Are these your lines?
    Phillip

Dominic
    I noted on the 1851 Census - HO107 1565 254 32 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) that Martha Levy is recorded as Step Mother annuitant 64 with Moss Marks 35 Furniture Broker the Head of the family. In the 1861 Census 16 Great Charlotte St ( RG9 312 117 27- Crown Copyright,TNA) Martha is recorded as Mother in law 74 Supported by her Friends age 74 still living with Moss Marks Head M age 46 Furniture Dealer. Is she really his step mother or is this an error?
    Also, in Lloyds Weekly London Newspaper Sunday Aug 31 1845 I noted the case of a Martha Levy referred to as "an elderly female of the Jewish persuasion... itinerant vendor of crockery ware" who sold the crockery in exchange for old clothes. Is she "your" Martha? I ask because in the 1841 Census she is a widow ( HO107 1058 11- Crown Copyright,TNA) age 45 living with Lipman Levy 26 ? Clothier and Rosetta Levy 24 Indep- what did Martha do when Benjamin (Wolf) died so young? I noted also the burial of an Eleazer Levy BSGSBUR 198/1432 on 24 Feb 1810 Woolpack Alley or Street Houndsditch - father's Hebrew name Abraham Hollander- any relevance? Doreen Berger " The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70" transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, Pub Robert Boyd 2004 has the death of Martha5.8. 1861 16 Great Charlotte St Blackfriars age 75 and Rachel Marks death 22.9.1862 at her sons residence 11 Minories relict of Moses Marks of Canon St City age 68.
    Phillip

Dom1

Hi Philip,

The Cohen Cassirer site details the descendants of Henry Cohen, many of whom married into my Cohen / Solomon / Nathan / Levy branches. The Cassirers have nothing to do with me.

Re: Martha (Mata) Levy - she was Moss Marks' mother-in law. This Marks family is connected to The Levey / Harris family. On the original Levy tree drawn up by my cousin Pamela, The Leveys, The Levys and The Turnpike Levys are one and the same. Quite clearly they are not. The jury is out on the Leveys but I'm fairly certain that The Turnpikes are unrelated.

Moss Marks married Rosetta (Rose) not Rachel; she died at Lambeth, in 1877

I seriously doubt that the Martha who sold crockery for old clothes was my Martha, her sons LW Levy (my great X2 grandfather) and Louis (both in Australia) and David (the founder of 'Lewis's' of Liverpool) would (presumably) have contributed to her welfare.

At the time of Wolfe's death, David was apprenticed to Benjamn Hyam (the clothes merchant) whose wife Kitty (nee Levy) was supposedly related. If true, and no evidence has appeared to support this claim, then The Levy of 'Hart & Levy' (based in Leicester) would also have been family. Coincidentally, the brother of Sir Israel Hart (of Hart & Levy), Henry (mayor of Canterbury) married my great x2 grand aunt Priscilla (on my maternal grandfather's side of the tree).

I don't know if that Elezear Levy has anything to do with us, but a branch of The Hollanders married into my Solomon branch

To be honest with you I have always wondered if this Martha, Lipman and Rosetta are mine, if so then who is Lipman ? He was definitely not the son of Martha and Wolfe Levy unless he changed his name to Louis or Lewis. Both brothers emmigrated to Australia in the 1840s. Other trees on Ancestry show this Lipman marrying Hannah (nee Jones). None of the wills held by my cousin name a Lipman, so I'm stumped.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast