97Annie

Default Mary Ann Dermody

One of my great great grandmothers was Mary Ann Dermody. She was born in St Helier Jersey. On the 1881 census she was living in Walcot Bath Somerset, aged 24.

On the 1871 census she was in St Helier aged 14 domestic servant. The spelling of her name on the 1871 census was Mary Ann Dermaty. Also in the 1871 St Helier census in another house was Margaret Dermody, single aged 31. She was described as step daughter. Head of the family was Thomas Haley aged 50 b. Tipperary Ireland and Bridget Haley aged 46 b St Helier was his wife, and there was a John Haley son aged 18 b Limerick.

I have Mary Ann Dermody's marriage certificate. She was married to Walter May in 1877 in Walcot Bath. Her father is named as John Dermody , occupation - mason.

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about the family. I am wondering whether John Dermody is on the 1871 census for Jersey. I am also wondering who her mother was - whether her parents separated and her mother is the Bridget Haley on the 1871 census. Can anyone help?

Thanks
    Ann

Stewart

Ann

In the 1861 CI Census there is a John Dermody married to Bridget, both from Ireland, with 3 children Margaret, Mary and Michael.

Stewart

97Annie

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart
    Ann

In the 1861 CI Census there is a John Dermody married to Bridget, both from Ireland, with 3 children Margaret, Mary and Michael.

Stewart
    Dear Stewart
    Thank you so much for that information. I am wondering if it would be possible for you to give me more details - I am particularly interested in birth places and ages. Does the census give more info on the part of Ireland they came from? Also - i am wondering if I could get hold of the actual census page?
    Regards
    Ann

Stewart

Ann

If you give me your email address. I'll send it to you. It's too big to be sent via B-G.

Stewart

97Annie

Dear Stewart
    Many thanks for that. My email address is [email protected].
    best regards
    Ann

Stewart

Ann, I've sent you a link. Let me know if it works OK.

Stewart

97Annie

Dear Stewart
    Thank you very much for the link. I have picked up the census image and this is indeed my family. Mary Ann Dermody was my mother's father's mother's mother. I am delighted to have the census image! Now I must book a holiday in Jersey to go and find the birth records!
    Kind regards Ann