Thread: Muster Rolls

Essex girl

Question Muster Rolls

Hi Everyone,
    Could some knowledgeable person help with a couple of queries re Muster rolls please (1852-1862).
    I am not sure if they all follow a set format but the ones I was looking at had the first coloumn heading voucher no to what does this refer?
    Is it possible for an individual to have more than one regiment no ? If yes why would this be so?
    I noticed that some individuals had to pay for their discharge, I could not find a payment made by my man in the qtr when he was discharged. He had served for 10yrs so would this not be applicable ?
    Many thanks for your help
    Jude

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Finbar View Post
    I think the voucher referred to may have been to cover expenses; similar to a travel warrant.
    That's correct. The vouchers are normally listed and identified at the end of the muster book for each quarter.

Kerrywood

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Essex girl View Post
    I noticed that some individuals had to pay for their discharge, I could not find a payment made by my man in the qtr when he was discharged. He had served for 10yrs so would this not be applicable ?
    The reason for discharge is shown in his discharge papers, surely?

Essex girl

Thanks Finbar and Kerrywood for that information.
    I made my first ever trip to TNA on Saturday to search for discharge papers and muster rolls for my guy. Sadly it appears that I am one of the unlucky ones with regard to discharge papers having searched leads given by Geoffers and with the help of staff trying other searches. Looks like they don't exist. I then looked at some of the muster rolls and with time running out just noted the basic facts. I know that they will have to be 'revisited' but at least I will now have some idea as to what is there and can build up a record from them.

Jude