Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Question 1891 Census Redruth

I have found my great grandfather ORLANDO JOHN BOWDEN on a transcript of the 1891 Census living at 82 South Turnpike, Redruth. Unfortunately, the person who transcribed the census indicates that it is damaged or unreadable in parts, and has quessed that he is living with his wife(?) ROSINA and son Orlando John.

If anyone has access to the film and could confirm this, I would be grateful. This would be Orlando's second wife if correct; however, he may have had a sister or possibly an aunt called Rosina and it could be one or them instead!

ruthrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Wilkinson
    I have found my great grandfather ORLANDO JOHN BOWDEN on a transcript of the 1891 Census living at 82 South Turnpike, Redruth. Unfortunately, the person who transcribed the census indicates that it is damaged or unreadable in parts, and has quessed that he is living with his wife(?) ROSINA and son Orlando John.

If anyone has access to the film and could confirm this, I would be grateful. This would be Orlando's second wife if correct; however, he may have had a sister or possibly an aunt called Rosina and it could be one or them instead!
    Hi Barbara
    I've looked on Ancestry for you:
    Orlando J Bowden Head Married 42 Plasterer
    Rosina Bowden wife Married 64 (figure is not that clear though)
    Orlando J Bowden son 3
    Hope this helps.

Ruth
    Last edited by Guest; 20-08-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Wilkinson

You don't say where you saw this transcript.

Mark

Thanks to both of you!

I had got my information from the Cornwall Census online project - that lists Rosina as 54 and Orlando John (the son!) as 8 - so different from Ancestry!!

More confusing than ever - I cannot imagine why OJ the elder would have married someone so much older than him - but then, why did these ancestors of ours do a lot of the seemingly daft things they did!!! I will have to try and get hold of the film/fiche of the census.

Thanks for trying!

Jo Simpsons

Looking at a possible marriage in 1887 there is a Rossina Kitto in 1881, her age 54.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Simpsons
    Looking at a possible marriage in 1887 there is a Rossina Kitto in 1881, her age 54.

Jo
    Thanks Jo - can I ask where you found this possible marriage?

Jo Simpsons

Oh sorry should have said! Freebmd.
    September quarter, 1887, Redruth, 5c 320
    Orlando John Bowden
    James Harris
    Rosina Kitto
    Nanny Trevena

Theres also a birth for a Orlando John, Truro,
    march, 1883, 5c 151

I looked on 1881 for a Rosina and there was one age 54, widow, her mother is living with her, Elizabeth Williams, and a neice, Rosina Williams.

Jo

Thanks Jo - and I appreciate the census details! Thanks for taking the time and trouble!

The birth of OJ junior will be the one I have already; he was born 3 January 1883 to OJ senior and his first wife - who died a day later! Looks like he went for the older woman next .......!