Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rowheat

Smile Wokingham PRs PURSEY family

Hi

I have been trying to trace my Gt grandfathers family for many years with great difficulty as he was illegitimate living with a family of the name of James and Hannah LOADER, I have just picked up the file again and thanks to developments with FreeBMD I have been able to confirm that Hannah Loader's maiden name was PURSEY so it is highly likely that she looked after her sister's child.

John Bertram Pursey was born 1869, also known as John Peter Pursey. From the age of 2 he is shown on the census with the Loaders sometimes listed as nephew and sometimes lodger.

From the census and Free BMD it appears that Hannah Loader nee Pursey was born about 1841 and I think that Mary may have been born 1849 but that is just a guess from a freebmd entry. Hannah is on the census with her parents in 1851 -Joseph and Eliza Pursey in Wokingham and Mary is shown aged 2 with her grandmother Jane Lane also Wokingham.

I really need someone to check the PRs for me to see if Mary is the dau of Joseph and Eliza and just happened to be with her grandmother on census night please, as I know it will be ages before I can get to the Record Office as my kids hobbies seem to take priority over mine at the moment

Any advice or help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Rowena

georgiep

Hi Rowena
    Just a few quick questions sorry...
    You don't need anymore info on John P?
    Is Mary his mother?
    You would like to connect Jane Lane to the Pursey family?
    (listed as James in 1851 widow washerwoman 67)

Thank you
    Georgie

Growing old Disgracefully

Smile

This is the birth cert. info if you haven't got one already it will tell you his mothers name.

Births Mar Qtr 1869,
    Pursey John Betrace Easthampstead, Vol no 2c, Page no 424

Sandy

Note spelling has it been transcribed wrong .....

Smile

Marriages Mar qtr 1862
    James Loader Wokingham, Vol no 2c, Page no 498
    On the same page is Hannah Pursey

This will give you both Fathers names & occupations

Sandy

Smile

a new birth & a Marriage

Births Mar Qtr 1849
    Mary Ann Pursey Wokingham, Vol no 6, Page no 339

Marriages Sep qtr 1847,
    Hannah Lane & William Pursey Wokingham, Vol no 6, Page No 429

Sandy

Smile

1861 Census
    Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 750; Folio: 60; Page: 5;
    William Pursey 52
    Hanah Pursey 50
    Mary Pursey 12
    Thomas Pursey 10

1851 Census
    Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1693; Folio: 241; Page: 12;
    James Lane (Jane) 67 Where born: Hurst, Berkshire, England
    James Lane 27
    William Lane 11
    Mary Pursey 2

More to follow...

Sandy

Smile

Some christenings for chidren of Jane and John Lane

1. HANNAH LANE, 23 SEP 1810 Hurst, Berkshire, England
    2. ANN LANE, 25 OCT 1812 Hurst, Berkshire, England
    3. MARY LANE, 29 NOV 1807 Hurst, Berkshire, England
    4. JOHN LANE,20 JAN 1805 Hurst, Berkshire, England

I think this is your family

Sandy

Smile

I don't think the Mary Pursey you have in the census with the Grandmother Jane Lane and Hannah Pursey married to James Loader are Sisters.

I have found this

John & Jane Lane had Children
    Hannah 1810
    Ann 1812
    Mary 1807
    John 1805

Hannah married William Pursey b 1809 in 1847
    she has Mary b 1849 she is on the 1851 census with Hannah's mother Jane Lane because Hannah has just given birth to son Thomas b 1851.

They are all together on the 1861 Census
    Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 750; Folio: 60; Page: 5;
    William Pursey 52
    Hanah Pursey 50
    Mary Pursey 12
    Thomas Pursey 10

I don't think Mary is John Bertram's mother as she marries in the Dec Qtr 1868
    Mary Ann Pursey Wokingham , Vol no 2c, Page no 796.
    Smith George Wokingham

They appear on the 1871 Census
    Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1285; Folio: 81; Page: 10;
    William Pursey 65
    Thomas Pursey 19
    Mary Ann Smith 22
    George Smith 23
    Ann Catherine Smith 7 months
    No Hannah but a quick look for a death turned up nothing at the moment.

I have then found Mary & George Smith with children & Mary's brother Thomas living with them on 1881, 1891 & 1901 Census.

Sandy

Smile

Births June qtr 1841
    Hannah Pursey, Wokingham, Vol no 6, Page no 284.

I think you need to get some cert. to move forward with this. First get the John Bertram Pursey one, the info I gave you in earlier post this will give his mothers name.
    You can then look for her birth to see who her parents are.
    Then get the birth or marriage cert for Hannah Pursey & James Loader to see who their father's are.

At the moment I can't connect any of them all together.

I can't find Hannah on any Census before she is married to James
    not with a James & Eliza as Parents & I can't find a Eliza Lane connected to a mother Jane Lane.

Sandy

Rowheat

Red face

Hi Sandyhall and GeorgieP

Thank you very much for all your help, it was very kind of you to try and help me - I don't think I have explained myself very well so I will give more details

I have John Bertram Pursey's marriage certificate where his mothers name of Mary Pursey is given but no father's name, he was born 1869 in Winkfield.

From the age of 2 on the 71, 81, 91 census he is living with the Loaders, then by 1901 he has left his wife Catherine- who he married Mar 1891 ( no death entry for Catherine or details on the census after 1891 - also John never married Annie Corney(my gt grandmother) who he was with from at least 1899, but they lived as man and wife in London until his death in 1925).

I could order Hannah's marriage cert but I think that would only tell me that she is the dau of Joseph and Eliza, and I could order Mary's with the hope that it would show the same parents - but that seems unlikely after your help, but I was hoping the parish registers might show their baptisms without the expense of the certificates.

I see what you mean about Mary Pursey being unlikely to be the correct one, but I am struggling to find a Mary Pursey who could be the mother of John Bertram and sister of Hannah. I looked on Free BMD and I can see William Pursey married Hannah Lane so that makes sense.

I have Hannah on the 1851 census aged 10 with Joseph and Eliza but indexed as Percy, then they are on the 1841 census but again no Mary is listed.
    On the 1861 census they are again indexed wrong as PUSSEY, Joseph (aged 51) and Eliza have James Loader as their lodger and Hannah is in London as a servant.
    Living next door is a William Pursey aged 52 married to Hannah with dau Mary (the 2 year old from 1851) so now I wonder if maybe William is the brother of Joseph and perhaps Hannah was her cousin rather than sister. They are also living next door to each other in 1871.

But on checking the IGI I even wonder if they are cousins also !!

But really I need access to the Wokingham Parish registers, so if anyone has a way of getting to see them or if I can buy them online anywhere I would be grateful for any help.

Rowena

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast