Aalandjana

Default William Middleton, b. 1878 in Alford

Hello,

I'm researching William Middleton, b. 1878 in Alford, Lincolnshire, son of Charles Lambert Middleton and Lucy Laking. From what I could see in 1911 census, he married Ada Sewell, and with their son William John Middleton lived at 6 Davison's Avenue, Grimsby. He joined the Royal Navy on 23rd July 1895, and finally left 29th January 1919.

Any information on William and what happened to him after WWI would be greatly appreciated. Are there any descendants in Grimsby? Did he have any more children?

Kind regards

Allan

Fiona67

On Freebdm there is a marriage between William & Ada in 1905 in Grimsby

Fiona

Fiona67

Default Freebdm

There are 4 children listed born in Spilsby and Grimbsby with Father Middleton Mother Sewell
    Lillian b 1911, Maurice b 1912, Albert E b 1917, Harold E b 1922, William J b 1906 Grimsby. There do appear to be quite a lot of Middletons b around that time in Grimsby and Spilsby and interestingly there were some other children born after 1922 with Father Middleton and Mother Sewell in other counties that might be worth following up. They could have left Lincolnshire.

Hope that helps

Fiona

Aalandjana

Hello Fiona,

Thanks for the tip.
    The Spilsby reg. district children (Lilian A. and Maurice) are children of my grandfather Charles Middleton and his first wife Annie Sewell (she was Ada's sister). I suppose it's reasonably safe to presume that the Grimsby reg. district children could be William's
    (Albert E. 1917, Harold E. 1922), although there seems to be quite a big gap between William John, their first son who was born 1906.

Thanks

Allan

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Allan,
    Don't forget that the mother's maiden name wasn't included in the GRO Index details until September quarter 1911, so there's plenty of Middleton births between 1906 and 1911 who could be William and Ada's children. You need to check the 1911 census entry for the family.
    Pam

Aalandjana

Thanks, Pam, I just confirmed that there were only 3 children: William John, Albert E. and Harold E.