benlyfreak

Default Rotherham Mining c1900-1910

Hi guys,

Whilst reseraching my tree i've come up with a bit of a strange one.

Around 1900 my 2nd great grandfather was living and working as a coal miner in the Rotherham area.

10 years later, he's changed areas, changed his surname, and the surname of all of his family. (By legitimate methods or not i have no idea).

Does anyone know if there was anything happening in the Rotherham area to do with the mines in the very early 1900's which may force someone to up, leave and change their name?
    Disputes, union activity, etc etc.

Any information, or possible leads greatly appreciated.

MarkJ

Are you sure it is the same family? Presumably you are basing your thoughts on the original surname vanishing and a family with the same childrens names/ages etc appearing on the next census with a new surname?
    The surname wasn't something a little "odd" for any reason - perhaps "foreign" or slightly "amusing" and thus the family changed it?

If it is, then changing the surname is perfectly easy - they simply started using the new name. Even now, there is no legal requirement to change your name via any official channels (although getting a passport or driving licence for example needs an official method such as a deed poll notice). As long as there is no intent to defraud or commit a crime, then anyone can call themselves whatever they so wish

Mark

Peter_uk_can

Just a thought on this one, but have you tried looking up the "new" name in an earlier census ?

This may prove, or otherwise, Mark's theory about a name match but different families.

If you would like to put in the names, and dates then perhaps others on here can cast their opinions.

Reputation beyond repute

Subject to checking as advised by others above, in what way did they change their names? Census? Certificates? Other data?

I've seen cases where a family used one surname for the census, another for BMD registration and, for all I know, yet another one for the benefit of the neighbours!

Peter_uk_can

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I've seen cases where a family used one surname for the census, another for BMD registration and, for all I know, yet another one for the benefit of the neighbours!
    I see we know the same people ....

benlyfreak

Hi guys,

It's the same family.
    I have just sent for a birth certificate to absolutly 100% nail it, but at present i'm 99.9% sure.
    This comes from family history, birth, marriage and death certificates, and census entries. Plus a deed poll where one of them then changed their name back a lot later in life.

The only reasons i could come up with for it happening in a logical way were things like trouble at work, or getting into trouble with the law.
    I know he was a miner a the time, hense pursuing the theory behind work issues first.

If it's any help the surname in Rotherham in c1900 was Kenworthy.

Reputation beyond repute

If you're convinced it's the same family, I suggest you drill back a couple of generations and seek earlier occurrences of the surnames involved.

benlyfreak

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Even now, there is no legal requirement to change your name via any official channels (although getting a passport or driving licence for example needs an official method such as a deed poll notice). As long as there is no intent to defraud or commit a crime, then anyone can call themselves whatever they so wish

Mark
    Mark,

How would someone stand who married under a name that wasn't their official name, and then had kids under that name?

Would the marriage stand, or would it effectively be null and void.
    The guy in question married twice. Once under the alias name, the second time in his original name.

Thanks.

Peter,

The next generation back has no mention of the assumed name. Will be looking further back, but nothing so far even as a maiden name for a mother.
    It appears to have been plucked out of the air on a whim at the same time as moving area.

MarkJ

As far as marriage goes, legally it makes no difference what name you marry under. The law still states that you cannot be married to more than one person at any time, so as long as the first wife was deceased or they were divorced, then marrying again - under whatever name - would be fine.
    The place where there could be problems is with the Church. A CofE wedding - from memory - expects you to be baptised into the church before marriage. If that baptism took place as a child in one name, then you tried to marry as an adult with a different name, then it may be awkward to say the least (although I don't think the church actually requests any proof of baptism - they didn't when I married).

Names can often be found further back. One of my lot took the maiden name of his wifes aunt when he changed his family name

Mark

Nicolina

I had (at least) 3 Great Uncles employed in the Rotherham area mining industry around that time, after they moved from Lincolnshire. So it doesn't appear as though there was a shortage of work there.
    As for the name change, I have a couple of families like that where the originals were illegitimate. They appear on baptism records with one name (mother's), a different name on Censuses (father's) and when they married some used one name whilst siblings used the other. Another one never could make up his mind whether he was a Brown or a Foster.
    I wish that I could be around if anyone decides to trace me, I've had 5 surnames.