Mary Young

Default Big Red Boxes displaying on web pages

I'm struggling with Vista on a new laptop.
    Among many other niggles, I'm seeing big red boxes on some websites.
    (Note these are not the black outline with wee red cross at top-right which denotes a missing image.)
    They are SOLID RED.which I don't need to view. e.g. https://colorfultabs.binaryturf.com/
    I think these boxes are adverts which I don't need to view - are they being blocked by Vista somehow?
    Don't think it's my browser (same effect in Firefox and IE) nor my AF which I think is at same settings as my old desktop PC.
    Poor eyesight means I print many web pages and my printer is running out of red ink!

MarkJ

I can't see them here Mary. Quite likely to be a Vista thing perhaps? (I use Linux so things may be different here).

When I checked the site you mentioned and allowed the various ads, there are quite a lot of them on there (all Google Syndicated ones) - mostly down the left hand side plus one just below the top in the middle.

If you are using Firefox, it might be worth trying NoScript - one of the Ad Ons for Firefox - which blocks scripts unless you tell it otherwise. It is a bit of a chore at times (especially on sites which have payment type things which use scripts to open a new window etc) but it works for stopping annoying scripted ads

Edit: AdBlock works fine too Mary. That is a lot easier to use as well. Whether Vista would still give a red box, I don't know (not having a Vista machine to test it out (but if anyone feels like donating... ) )

If it is Vista stopping them, it would be worth checking if there is a way to actually remove them completely rather than giving you a red page. Perhaps a Vista user can advise further on that

Mark

Marie C..

Dear Mary,
    I have a new laptop with vista and I don't have red boxes and I don't know why you do.
    I have Avast free spyware and virus etc protection and I think yours must be something to do with Vista and firefox combined. I don't have firefox on the laptop. I have it on the desk top.
    Can't you just click the boxes off? Have you got a high level of security or is it tuned to low.
    Can you not go into all programs and set it to block such things?
    I guess Mark or someone will be able to sort it for you. M

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marie C.. View Post
    I guess Mark or someone will be able to sort it for you. M
    Vista is like some sort of black art Marie I avoid having much to do with it if at all possible. I have done a few system recoveries and some basic tweaks on Vista machines, but other than that, I usually refer folks to someone else!
    Now if it was Windows 98.....

Mark

Hugh Thompson

They don't come up on mine Mary, and I run XP Pro and Firefox, I won't use Vista.
    Hugh.

Starting to feel at home

I use Vista with Google Chrome so I tried it in IE too but the only red box I see on that page (in either browser) is a clickable link labelled Play Games>
    Is that the red box that you mean?

The page I can see is actually narrower than the browser screen so there may be something missing down beside the main page that is blocked by my antivirus or browser settings.

Jenny

I am using Vista and have viewed the site mentioned with IE and Firefox and don't see any red boxes. Strange thing is that it says I have downloaded something, which I didn't
    Suggest a trip or phone call to the shop where it was purchased if the red boxes keep appearing.

Marie C..

You are so clever Finbar,
    I don't know where/how you find all thses things but you always seem to have so much stuff handy. Did you just google red boxes?
    I guessed it was something to do with security /browser settings !
    Mary will be so relieved.
    M

Mary Young

Default Solved!

My thanks to everyone for their ideas on this problem.
    I tried several things with no success. Then phoned the techs at Virgin in hopes they had a quick fix. They suggested the culprit was Ad-Blocker in PCGuard (the AV etc. software supplied by Virgin). This proved to be the case, causing the adverts to be hidden by those big red boxes.