Thread: AVG 8.5

maltonboy

Question AVG 8.5

i would like to think that i'm not that slow about computers but this AVG update is giving me problems!

i keep getting a popup window saying i must update to 8.5 (from 8.0.238) to stay covered. why would i? mine is the free version and 8.5 you have to pay for. the advert infers that after april 30th i will no longer be able to get updates unless i pay for the 8.5!?!

do i need to start looking for another free av product? prefer not to as i'm happy with AVG and been with them for several years now (admittably using the free version! true yorkshireman )

anybody any clues or come across this themselves?

kind regards
    maltonboy

It is not correct that you have to pay for AVG 8.5. The free version is still available under release 8.5.

What the alert is telling you is that AVG are going to stop releasing updates compatible with the old version which you are running.

Graham

John Nicholas

Graham's right. I'm running AVG 8.5 free, but I did have some difficulty finding the free version. For some reason (!!) they keep directing you towards the pay-for version. But if you prod away enough, you'll find it.

John

maltonboy

Smile thanks

graham: cheers for that. i tried finding the free version a couple of weeks ago and wasn't successful.

both: i have now found it - well hidden on their website! thanks for letting me know it was there.

kind regards
    maltonboy
    Last edited by maltonboy; 19-04-2009 at 10:01 AM. Reason: john replied at the same time as me writing.

Default AVG not the only free antivirus

Certainly the excellent AVG freebie has become a bit of a pain in the posterior in its latest incarnation (has it been taken over by anchor perchance) However it is not the only free reasonably reliably anti virus software. I have recently changed to Avast, which has had some good reviews and seems to be working well. The Home edition is free, but there is a business version. There is no pressure or prompts to buy the other version.

cheers..Ed

v.wells

My sister downloaded the new version and managed to mess up the computer so bad she had to take it to a tech to repair and set right. She said it was the free version that she downloaded..

Carmy

I used AVG free for years but in a few places where techs hang out, they say to avoid the new AVG. Apparently it does something bad to Spyware Blaster, if you have that installed. They advise using Avira instead of AVG.

Carmy

Sorry, here's a link to one place. See waht they say on their Wiki tips.

community-feedback.com