Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default Battle Of Trafalgar Ships.

Hi

I reckon a lot of us on here know the names of many of the ships that fought in the Battle Of Trafalgar. When I ask work colleagues they always say "Victory" then struggle to name the rest. If I ask them to name another ship, they always seem to struggle. I am not boasting here but I can name all of the 27 big ships off by heart.

Ajax
    Mars
    Leviathan
    Agamemnon
    Polyphemus
    Neptune
    Orion
    Victory
    Tonnant
    Temeraire
    Thunderer
    Conquerer
    Revenge
    Bellepheron
    Prince
    Britannia
    Royal Sovereign
    Swiftsure
    Colossus
    Achille
    Spartiate
    Minotaur
    Defence
    Definat
    Dreadnought
    Africa
    Belleisle

Ben

MarkJ

One of my ancestors was on the Prince. So I knew that one, plus a few of the others

That is my small connection with the Battle of Trafalgar

Mark

My connection is even smaller. My ancestor Captain Henry Duncan was commander of the Victory from 19th Apr 1782 to 5th Dec 1782. Eight other commanders and then it was the turn of Captain Thomas M Hardy from 31st Jul 1803 to 13th Jan 1806.
    daryl

Knowledgeable and helpful

Sadly my ancestor must have been having a rest although I think the Colossus comes in somewhere as a ship he served on. I am very impressed Benny that you can name all the ships I love anything to do with the Royal Navy for that period.
    I get very excited when I tell people that my ancestor was on the Valiant at the Battle of the Saints and nearly had apoplexy the first time I visited Chatham Dockyard exhibition where the exhibition is based on the building of the Valiant. However I know they havent any idea only if I mention St Lucia do they have any inkling.
    Jane

Hi

The Victory was the most famous, then the Temeraire was the second I think. Most of the ships were in very bad condition though after the battle. Apparently the Victory was all smashed up with the sails missing.

Ben

AnnieB5051

Default Trafalagar Roll

If you're interested in finding out about the men who served at Trafalgar (unfortunately, there's no list of the wmen who would have been on board), the National Archives' website has a good searchable database at https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/trafalgarancestors/

AnnieB

Apparently, the French and Spanish fleet all had a ship called Neptune, the same as the English fleet.

My words Benny 1982 ,i am lost for words,.......i my self being ex ROYAL NAVY ...you are doing well in remembering all the ships,

In my short career i was on 13 ships ,4 being seagoing ..the other,s [stone frigates. ..it,s the dates i get lost with ,i always have to refer to my [micky mouse]certicate of service, when posting on other websites.

Jim B

Hi Jim

Yes I have developed quite an interest in this battle that saved us. I wonder what Nelson would have done in terms of seafaring if he'd lived? Another "if only" though.

Retlaw

Default Trafalgar Roll

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieB5051 View Post
    If you're interested in finding out about the men who served at Trafalgar (unfortunately, there's no list of the wmen who would have been on board), the National Archives' website has a good searchable database at https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/trafalgarancestors/

AnnieB
    Did they press gang women as well as men into the Royal Navy.
    What your suggesting is practically impossible. If you want to see the nearest thing to life at sea on a British Battleship of that era, watch the film Master and Commander.

Retlaw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast