Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jkheath

Default HELP!! Bauchet, Boscher. census B,M,D. look ups

My Mother in law came from Jersey, St Helier, to England. She stayed in a Catholic convent, refuge in Southampton for about 5 years. Why? We got a copy of birth certificate says 'Marcelle Bauchet', born 1910. yet on her childrens birth certificates she says 'Boscher' as her name. She had 2 siblings who lived in Jersey. Raymond (was in foreign legion in younger years) and Annie, also deceased and a brother, Peter who lived in France. I believe the family originally came from France probably pre 1900. I have a copy of birth certificate for Bauchet. Is there one for Boscher? She apparently lived with an Aunt who may have been Boscher. Is there anyone who recognises the names? Is there anyone able to look at census for this family, up to 1901 as I don't think 1911 is available for the Channel Islands yet. Or have any idea if Boscher is an anglicised Bauchet. Or did the Mother remarry, or was Marcelle married over there to a Boscher?
    She never talked about her past, and we never knew till now, that she had another child, now deceased and are trying to put puzzle together.
    If anyone willing to help, would pay towards time and costs.
    Thankyou
    Last edited by MarkJ; 11-04-2009 at 1:03 PM. Reason: living persons details removed

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,

Nice to 'meet' you.

There's loads of helpful people on here that help for free so let's see what they come up with first before you have to enter the £ zone with anyone.

I've got to pop to the shops but I'll root around on the internet when I come back and see if I can help in any way. I'm sure others will be along to help soon.

All the best.
    Browneyes

Stewart Hill

A few questions.

Do you have a first name for the Aunt?

What was Marcelle Bauchet's parent's names?

The name Boscher exists as well as Bauchet.

Stewart

jkheath

Default Bauchet, Boscher. . . . . . . .

Thankyou for your reply.
    I am frantically searching for the birth certificate. I am just trying to remember what I read on it. I know her Mother's surname was 'Bolloch', possibly Annie, and I think the Father was Pierre Marie Bauchet, a ropemaker.
    When I come home from work tonight, I will search through all my files for the certificate.
    The name on the certificate for her is Marcelle Maria Bauchet. born 1st October 1910.
    She did once tell me she was born 1914, but I don't think she could remember.
    She had a child in 1937 in England, and he was placed in a catholic children's home. We have just received the file, as he died a few years ago.
    The name that appears on the papers, is Marcelle Jeanne Boscher and Jeanne Marcelle Boscher. (maybe typists error)
    Maybe she took her Aunt's name, as there is a photo, signed from 'Tant Boscher'
    There is a 'Boscher' in Jersey. I phoned, but she thought I had the wrong family, though it would have been before her time and she may just not know about her past family.
    Will confirm when certificate found later.
    Thanks,
    Joyce

jkheath

Default HELP!! Bauchet, Boscher, Bosher..................

Hi again, Stewart,

I am looking at paper work from where Marcella's first child grew up and the information I have gleaned there, is - in 1940 she put her age as 28. which makes birth year as 1912. Baptised at St Thomas's, 17 Val Plaisant, St Helier. in 1922.
    Attended St Andrews Convent School. Jersey. She had spent time with an Aunt in Jersey. Maybe came to England 1932/33
    Came to England and says 'in later childhood' she was in the care of Sisters of our Lady of Charity, Redcote Convent, Bitterne, Southampton. though another form says she came to England round 1933 ish, not sure if she just made up as didn't really remember.
    I will keep delving and see what else I can find.
    Her Great Nephew,(name removed - person living), who lives in Jersey, does not answer my phone calls for some reason, I do not know.
    Thanks to you and anyone else who can give information, and as I say I will refund any costs.
    Thankyou.
    Joyce
    Last edited by MarkJ; 11-04-2009 at 1:02 PM. Reason: living persons names not permitted on the forum

Stewart Hill

Hi Joyce

Thought I'd give you an update as to what I had found out so far.

First I have located Marcelle Maria Bauchet's birth index entry which is "St Helier, Births, 12th Sep 1910 to 2nd Jul 1912, volume 54, page 6".

Next I looked backwards from 1910 to see if I could find a marriage for her (possible) parents. I found on "St Helier Registry, Dec 1908 to Nov 1911, volume 20, page 55" an entry for Pierre Marie Bauchet. On the same page is an entry for Anne Marie Bolloch.

Next I looked forward from 1910 for any Bauchet deaths. I found "St Helier, Deaths, Apr 1918 to Feb 1920, volume 47, page 39" an entry for Pierre Marie Bauchet. Unfortunately in the same volume but on page 67 I found the death of Ann Marie Bauchet.

I then looked for any details on the St Andrews Convent School. There does not appear to have been a school with this name. What I have found though is the school log book for St Andrews School (renamed in 1913 to St Helier/Val Plaisant girls and infants school). I was hoping to find pupils names but sadly, apart from the entries being of general interest, there was nothing. I did note that 12th Sep 1919 there were class photographs taken and also that attendance was low because of the flu.

The 1901 Census shows only two Boscher's in Jersey. Jean (John) Boscher was aged 25 and born in France. At the time he was living in Grouville. Marie Boscher was aged 28, again born in France and a domestic servant in 88, Halkett Place, St Helier. There are no Bauchet's in the 1901 Census.

So my conclusion is that Marclle's parents died almost at the same time and this left her an orphan. She could have been taken in by an aunt, possibly Marie Boscher, but we will never know for sure without tracing the French family line. I cannot locate any local records to show where Marcelle was living as she was too young.

The next thing I want to do is look at the certificates to see if they shed any light. This I can't do until later next week.

Stewart

jkheath

Hi, Stewart,
    I spent ages replying to your last mail to me, and then I got the message to refresh page and log in again, and I lost the whole message. I am just not good at computers!!
    I sent a reply on my hotmail, but not sure if it would get back to you.
    SO, thankyou for so much help. When I read about the school closed because of flu, I put in google, 'flu outbreak Jersey' and found there was a world outbreak between 1918-20, called 'Spanish flu'. Maybe this is how Marcelle's Parents died.
    I wonder if Marcelle's sister and brothers stayed together or split up. This Aunt 'Boscher' (possibly) must have had money from somewhere for Marcelle's support.
    I know Peter (Pierre) lived in France. Raymond was in the F.Legion for a time and Anne married and had a Daughter, Roselle. They stayed in Jersey. Roselle died a few years ago now.
    I will have to get the marriage and death certificates for the Parents. There may be the names of their Fathers on the marriage, as in English certificates, and I wonder if cause of death would be recorded on the death cert.s.
    So thankyou again for your help.
    Joyce.

Stewart Hill

Hi Joyce

I've now had the chance to look at the marriage and death certificates.

I've translated the French to English.

PMB and AMB were married 4th August 1910.

Pierre Marie Bauchet, aged 54, batchelor, a "cordier" from St Servan (Ille D Villaine, France). Father Pierre Sebastien Bauchet, also a "cordier"

Ann Marie Rault nee Bolloch, aged 34, a widow from Kerify (Cotes du Nord, France). Father was Claude Bolloch a mariner.

PMB died 5th November 1918 at Havre des Pas, St Helier, aged 63, a "cordier" from pneumonia. AMB was present at his death.

AMB died 23rd May 1919 at the General Hospital, aged 44 from septicimia. The death was reported by James Marquis, director de L'Hospital General.

Stewart

PS If you do order death certificates the volume is 50 not 47. It has been mis-indexed.
    Last edited by Stewart Hill; 28-04-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Correct spelling

jkheath

Thankyou, Stewart.
    I thought maybe the parents had died in the flu outbreak at that time. Also I think maybe Raymond and Annie may have been from the mother's first marriage maybe as I am sure they were older than Marcelle. Her brother Pierre Bauchet may have been her full brother. I don't know why she called herself Jeanne Marcelle Boscher, she never said anything about being adopted. There must have been some official monetary support if she was taken in by an Aunt, especially if the 4 children were looked after by her. I suppose there will be some things never to be found out.
    Did you find out from the school if photos still exist when you looked up the records there? I would like to pusue a bit further if you think there is anything else I could find out more about the family and extended family. I will get in touch with the Southampton convent to see if there are records of inmates there too, to see if I can find out why she was there.
    Thankyou so much for your help,
    best wishes,
    Joyce

Stewart Hill

Hi Joyce

The records I looked up were at the Archive Centre which is where any photographs that may exists can be found. You can search the Archive, but not view, at:

https://jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je/archive.html

As regards French web-sites, have a look at:

https://www.genealogie22.com/corail/cg22.php or
    https://www.geneawiki.com/index.php/A...9partementales

BUT your French has to be good!

Stewart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast