Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nicos

OK- will chase that up!...thanks for the support!...things shared are suddenly much easier aren't they!!
    Will let you know how I get on!!
    Ta !

jeeb

Hi Nicos,
    Had you noticed a family of Tolliday in HISTON near Cambridge and not far from Huntingdon use many of the same family names eg Susan, Robert, George & Fred? May be further research needed but couldn't see any Edwards though.

Jeremy

Nicos

WOW....where did you see those???- that sounds more promising doesn't it???- esp if Edward was away working!!!

Histon is where the Bates Tolliday family were-but his kids had different names ( that's one of the lines I'm esp interested in!)

jeeb

Hi Nicos,
    Did you know there is Edward Tolledy (various spelling of name on sibling's baptisms) son of Edward & Mary baptised 5 June 1800 at Isleham, Cambs. He had a sister Susanna.

Jeremy

apowell

Hi,

I'm not sure this helps but I found an entry on the familysearch site:

EDWARD TOLLEDY Christening: 05 JUN 1800 Isleham, Cambridge, England
    Father: EDWARD TOLLEDY
    Mother: MARY

I think Cambridgeshire is near Huntingdonshire and the date is close.

What do you think?

Regards
    Adrian

Oops sorry Jeremy I didn't see your post and you're ahead of me.

Spangle

Quote Originally Posted by jeeb View Post
    Hi Nicos,
    I feel that because Edward Jnr is always a Labourer, usually 'Ag' then the Military idea is unlikely but of course not impossible.
    With regards to Edward Snr being deported - well again a possibility but probably unlikely. I think he is more likely to be dead pre 1837. Edward Jnr could be anywhere in 1841 and probably not on the census.
    It may be an idea to try and look at Long sutton registers to see if an Edward was baptised there (according to 1851 an Edward was born there!) The age on 1851 of the Edward Toliday, lodger says he was born 1830, which you think was too late for your Edward but according to 1861 the Edward we know to be yours gives a birth year of 1833 so I think the 1851 lodger stands a good chance of being the same man.
    It would also help maybe to find the death of a Susan Tolliday.

Jeremy
    I reckon that your Edward was born 1830 Nico... and that he was a militiaman.

I found this on the Cambridgeshire Archive website:

1 Huntingdonshire Quarter Sessions records
    October Sessions: Edward Tolliday, 24, labourer and militiaman; Assaulting a constable, Stephen Ayres, at Huntingdon. 3 months' hard labour
    Date: - 1854
    Ref Number - HCP/1/37 part

There are also these:

2 Histon Parish Church
    Special licence for marriage between Alfred Pridgeon of Cottenham, widower, and Eliza Tolliday of Histon.
    27 February 1924
    P93/1/22

3 Histon Parish Church
    Bastardy. Filiation order to James Carter, butcher, to maintain child of Elizabeth Carter, his wife, late Elizabeth Tolliday, spinster. 6 March 1830

Spangle

Hi Nicos,
    I feel that because Edward Jnr is always a Labourer, usually 'Ag' then the Military idea is unlikely but of course not impossible.
    With regards to Edward Snr being deported - well again a possibility but probably unlikely. I think he is more likely to be dead pre 1837. Edward Jnr could be anywhere in 1841 and probably not on the census.
    It may be an idea to try and look at Long sutton registers to see if an Edward was baptised there (according to 1851 an Edward was born there!) The age on 1851 of the Edward Toliday, lodger says he was born 1830, which you think was too late for your Edward but according to 1861 the Edward we know to be yours gives a birth year of 1833 so I think the 1851 lodger stands a good chance of being the same man.
    It would also help maybe to find the death of a Susan Tolliday.

Jeremy
    I reckon that your Edward WAS born 1830 Nicos... and that he was a militiaman.

I found this on the Cambridgeshire Archive website:

1 Huntingdonshire Quarter Sessions records
    October Sessions: Edward Tolliday, 24, labourer and militiaman; Assaulting a constable, Stephen Ayres, at Huntingdon. 3 months' hard labour
    Date: - 1854
    Ref Number - HCP/1/37 part

There are also these:

2 Histon Parish Church
    Special licence for marriage between Alfred Pridgeon of Cottenham, widower, and Eliza Tolliday of Histon.
    27 February 1924
    P93/1/22

3 Histon Parish Church
    Bastardy. Filiation order to James Carter, butcher, to maintain child of Elizabeth Carter, his wife, late Elizabeth Tolliday, spinster. 6 March 1830

Nicos

Quote Originally Posted by Spangle View Post
    I reckon that your Edward WAS born 1830 Nicos... and that he was a militiaman.

Hmmm- I had that militia info- which got me thinking about what fighting wa going o around 1841/1851

HOWEVER.........I've got the inscription from his grave...
    " IL Mem of Edward Tolliday when he departed this life 27.12.1893 aged 70 also of Mary Ann wife of the above who departed this life 28.4.1904 aged 72.
    Rest dear parents thy labour is o'er, thy willing hands will toil no more,father& mother, both true & kind, no friends on earth like Thee will find"

So you see- his children believed he was born in 1823!- and it's certainly the right Edward as he was married to Mary Ann.

The other info is interesting...thanks for that!!

Nicos

Hi Nicos,
    Did you know there is Edward Tolledy (various spelling of name on sibling's baptisms) son of Edward & Mary baptised 5 June 1800 at Isleham, Cambs. He had a sister Susanna.

Jeremy

I have found a marriage between Edward and Mary Rumbelow on IGI 25/4/1790 Isleham
    Susanna (bap 11/12/1791)could have either been a first- or second born to that marriage!

- do you have access to the rest of their children's names/dob/various spellings???- or is there a site I can access???

Thanks

Nicos

Quote Originally Posted by apowell View Post
    Hi,

I'm not sure this helps but I found an entry on the familysearch site:

EDWARD TOLLEDY Christening: 05 JUN 1800 Isleham, Cambridge, England
    Father: EDWARD TOLLEDY
    Mother: MARY

I think Cambridgeshire is near Huntingdonshire and the date is close.

What do you think?

Regards
    Adrian

Oops sorry Jeremy I didn't see your post and you're ahead of me.
    Thanks!!..I'm thinking on the same lines as ou here!
    If I can get more first names, I may find a family trend to each line- and trace them back/forwards to link up various lines.that would be good!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast