olliepolly

Default handwriting query

I have just added this on to another thread but think it may get lost so am going to do it as a new one.

Can anyone help to decipher the handwriting on the image of the census

William Attebell ? 1872
    Grace Attebell ? 1872
    Amy Attebell warrington ( I know that one)

they were living in warrington at the time of the census, what i am struggling with is where they - William & Grace were born, I dont think the info on the printed version is correct, the surname is wrong for start it should be Attwell, if anyone could read this I would be most grateful, because I keep looking at it and its driving me mad???

just realised i've put it on the wrong forum!!! sorry.

Nicolina

I've tried and tried and the only thing I can work out is that William's County of birth starts with a S.
    I have found his marriage in 1895 to Grace Williams in Warrington R.D. March quarter Vol. 8c Page 227. Unfortunately that doesn't help much. A copy of the certificate might help. With his father's name you could try search for him, with his father, on the 1881 or 1891 Census.
    It looks as if Grace was born in Sedburgh, West Yorkshire but I cannot find her on earlier Censuses.

sueannbowen

Hi I think it could be South Wolstanton (staffordshire). I originally thought it was South something. then I searched the 1891C and came up with this:
    RG12 Piece 3078 Folio 42 page 30. This is for a William Attwell tho which is what the 1901 looks like to me rather than Attebell. The name Attebell doesn't come up in any other place that I can find.

This won't help at all if the name you are chasing is d efinitely Attebell!!

sueannbowen

oops sorry Ollie just reread your post! Of course you are looking for Attwell.

Mutley

Sorry Posters, I must close this thread as we now have two running. It gets rather confusing

See here