Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Queens Square Dublin

I have just found a sister for my paternal grandmother that no one has ever mentioned before. I have been able to confirm that she was born 24 November 1880 at 17 Queens Square Dublin. I tried Google earth but that took me to Dun Laoghaire and Queens Road so I think the square might be re-named.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Famous for offering help & advice

According to this site, Queen's Square was off Great Brunswick Street - not to be confused with Brunswick Street. By comparing a Google map with one from 1836, it appears that (possibly because of the confusion) Great Brunswick Street is now Pearse Street - it runs along the north side of Trinity College eastwards towards the docks. Unfortunately I can't see Queen's Square on my old map (or Google), but this might get you a bit closer...

Arthur

Thanks Arthur that is very useful. I have some old maps of Ireland that belonged to my dad, I must dig them out of the boxes of his stuff I haven't been able to face sorting out. I find I can chuck out more easily when I am looking for something but I can't chuck out when I am just trying to reduce the sheer number of boxes. Looking for his Irish maps should help me get rid of some more rubbish.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.

o breen

Default queens square[pearse square]

Hi Ladykis,
    re queens square,it has been renamed pearse square,and is situated on pearse street [gt. brunswick st.originally]near the Macken st.junction,pearse st.runs parallel to south quays from trinity college towards ringsend the original [queens square]signage is still on a house[wall]there.
    directly opposite the square[park]is the local community [st.andrews resource centre]which may have some info re your search.all the best
    terry,dublin.

Thank you so much o breen, Welcome to the forum! How lovely that your first post should be one that helps me, thank you so much. I am off to Google Earth to take a look!

Now I have seen it on Google Earth I am curious as to what theatres are near there.

No I am curious as to how far away theatres are from where they were obviously lodging. They - my great grand-parents - were actors so finding them on Census and stuff is difficult. I have only just discovered that they had a daughter called Harriet and she was born in Queens Square, Dublin.

My cousins are all agog to know more so this will have to go into the latest newsletter.

o breen

Default dublin theatres.

Hi and thanks for the welcome,
    I lived in pearse st.for some years[80s]so have some knowledge of the area,
    hope this helps,on the same side of pearse st.[nearest river]the now restored
    academy theatre/cinema[formerly the antient concert rooms c.1834.about 200yards from queens sq.a further 200yds.towards city ctr.hawkins st.site of theatre royal.gaiety theatre,south king st.c.1871,[15min walk]over the river
    you have/had the gate theatre/abbey/peacock.last but by no means least
    past macken st.[crossroads]on opp.side of queens sq.say about 50yds.was the finest of all ,the queens theatre [c.1829] so it seems they picked the best spot! googl queens theatre brunswick st.for further,hope this helps.
    o b

That is truely amazing! I know they played the Gaiety theatre and the Theatre Royal because I have copies of the reviews from The Stage and The Era.
    I think I remember something about the Queens Theatre too.

You are so kind to take the time to give me this, thank you so much. Now I have a better picture of them in Dublin in the 1880s and 1890s

o breen

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    That is truely amazing! I know they played the Gaiety theatre and the Theatre Royal because I have copies of the reviews from The Stage and The Era.
    I think I remember something about the Queens Theatre too.

You are so kind to take the time to give me this, thank you so much. Now I have a better picture of them in Dublin in the 1880s and 1890s
    https://dublincitypubliclibraries.com.../theatre-royal
    Hi ladkyis,
    see the above which has details of the royal and if you search further, perhaps more dublin theatres of old.It seems that queens square[according to this record]
    was used mainly by theatrical people as lodgings, I imagine they must have lived a very avant garde lifestyle within the stage/ acting
    community lodging around that square,these video etc records were compiled from the archives of the pearse library,situated] just a short [equal]distance between the site of the royal and pearse square,hope you are keeping well, I have become a lurker on here this past year+but hope to join in a little more [a sorta new years resolution!]regards o'b

Thanks for the link to the video. Fascinating stuff. It struck me while I was listening to the voice-over that my great grandfather must have had an Irish accent. I know, I know, sometimes I take a while to catch on to these things. Even if he made an effort to erase the accent in order to play the English theatres it would still be there, haunting his speech.

Ooh and it would be a Southern accent too. OK so now I like him even more. I sometimes wonder if my Dad inherited his flashing eyes and sense of humour from great grandfather. Difficult to know as that side of his family were all dark haired and dark eyed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast