Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Colin M

Default The Pinkstone Surname

I have Pinkstones from my Grandmother's line. The name seems to be derived from Derbyshire and may well have come to Devon with the establishment of the weaving mill in Tiverton in the late 1700s. There is lots of background on Google about the Heathcotes, silk weaving in both Derby and Tiverton, Luddites etc. Hundreds of weavers walked from Derby to Tiverton for work and seem to have maintained family links with their families back home for many years. Devon people often turn up in the Derby census, and vice versa, my 2xggrandfather lived in Exeter but gives his birthplace as Derby, Derbyshire.
    My cousin who still carries the Pinkstone Surname and has done more work on this thinks Pinkstone is a Devon variant and a corruption of Pengston and may derive from the village of Pinxton in Derbyshire. Certainly the Devon accent would help. It almost certainly had nothing to do with the colour of the red sandstones so characteristic of the Exeter area.
    If anyone has a William Pinkstone born in Derby around 1809 and who may have moved to Exeter I would love to hear from them. He gives his occupation as a book-keeper and married Mary Gay at Exeter StDavids in May 1830.

trudy4656

IGI https://www.familysearch.org/eng/sear...lear_form=true

has a James Pingstone christened 18 JAN 1801, Tiverton, Devon, England, parents Samuel and Ann Pingstone

Trudy

trudy4656

.... and a marriage for Samuel Pingstone to Ann Andrews, 29 NOV 1798 Tiverton, Devon, England

Trudy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12