Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    newfoundland

Default James PINKSTONE - Newfoundland

This is,I realize, a long shot but I have very little information on my search for a James Pinkstone. He was born at the beginning of the 1800's and arrived here in Newfoundland as a young man to live as a fisherman, He married in 1832 so I assume he was about late 20's. I am guessing, because of his children's names that his father may have been John Charles and his mother probably Susannah.

Any advice on where to go from here would be appreciated.

Mary Anne

newfoundland

Welcome!!

As it happens, your timing is perfect -- I have just discovered this fabulous site for Newfoundland research Newfoundland Grand Banks https://ngb.chebucto.org. It is a non-profit site maintained beautifully and with tons of transcriptions of parish registers and other pertinent information.

There are lots of PINKSTONEs, including 2 John Charles PINKSTONEs listed in the St. Paul's Anglican Baptisms in Harbour Grace...one baptized 13 October 1833 and the other 14 February 1844.

If you use the Google search box on the bottom of their homepage to search the entire site, just put in "John Charles Pinkstone" and you'll get hits you can look at...marriages, baptisms, burials, all sorts.

Have fun

Mary Anne

newfoundland

Default newfoundland

Hello Mary Anne

Thanks for the reply. I have all the information available to me here in Canada

It's where he came from in Britain that I would like to find.

v.wells

Hi newfoundland!

Does it say anywhere in obits/death cert/family notes where he might have been born?

Mary Anne

oh, duh! Sorry newoundland! I had actually just spent about 2 days on that Grand Banks site and was so excited about it that I made and a$$umption

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    oh, duh! Sorry newoundland! I had actually just spent about 2 days on that Grand Banks site and was so excited about it that I made and a$$umption
    Mary Anne - he did say he had "little" info and was guessing, so don't be embarrassed I assumed the same thing

v.wells

newfoundland - you could try the shipslist.org or findmypast. There may be records dating that far back.

v.wells

You also need to get the marriage certificate from wherever they are held or view the parish marriage book at the Church he was married in. That will give his father's name and is a great start to hunting in UK.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Newfoundland

I've just seen this post. Consider the south coast of England, ie Dorset and so on. I've had someone tell me that their Dorset ancestors used to go to NFLD fishing. But equally, there were whaling ships from Hull, Yorkshire that went that way too. I would think any area where they had more than inshore fisheries is a possibility. Perhaps some reading on fisheries in the UK historically? PW

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Pinkstone

Further to my comments above, I've checked where the name occurs in 1881. There were only 148 people with the surname, so it was comparatively rare. The county of Devon occurs most often when considering coastal counties, so I would have a look for James Pinkstone beginning there. Good luck. PW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast