Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    tpbiii

Quote Originally Posted by JackieHollow View Post
    Yes, I have their marriage information which lists her last name as McKie. That's why I was unsure.

I hadn't seen the cemetery record. I'm assuming "Cemetery Records: NS, Shelburne. Co.; Vol. VII" is a book? Does it say what cemetery they were buried in? I also hadn't seen about his daughter Janet. I had only known of 2 of his children - Ebenezer and William. Thank you so much for that piece of his information!

It's my dream to one day go to Shelburne and do some research. I live in the deep south, and would love to spend a summer up there!!!

Hi Jackie,

I am Tom Barnwell -- the ggg grandson of David McKay, who was the original subject of this thread. We are related to two McKay lines -- that of the Donald of the 76th and David, who was born in Scotland in 1793 and immigrated later. The known relation is by marriage (McPherson) -- we have never been able tie those two McKay lines together, but since they all came from the same part of Scotland to the same place (Jordan Falls/Shelburne), they may be.

Like you, I am mostly Southern -- the other three branches of my family are all from NC. My McKay grandfather was a Pullman conductor from Boston who married a southern girl.

I am now retired and we spend summers in the old family home in Jordan Falls -- its exact origins are not clear, but it has been in our family since at least 1818. I had not heard of Gilbert, but since it seems he is probably not directly related to us, I may have something I have ignored. A lot of that stuff is in NS, but some of it is here (Atlanta) -- I'll check. We get back to NS in June.

What is your blog?

Best,

-Tom

Inez Reed

Hi folks, I believe that they are all buried in the cemetery at St. John's Church.

Inez

Hi Tom! long time no "see"

JackieHollow

Hi Tom,

With Donald's birthdate, the fact that they served together, and he ended up in the same place, etc. I have to believe they are related. It almost seems as if perhaps brothers? OF course, that's all speculation on my part.

I can only imagine how wonderful it is for you to own the familial home! I would love to escape the hot summers here in the south (Arkansas), and head north. My McKay's moved into Michigan for several generations. It wasn't until my parents that they moved away. At least until my line.

I would love to hear if you come up with anything on Gilbert. He was granted land on the Harbour of Port Hebert. I found the map on the novascotia.ca site. I was told (but haven't found proof yet) that this land was later transferred to his BROTHER, William? I don't know anything at all about William right now. I do know Gilbert named his son William... <shrug> But William was a very common name also.

My blog is https://www.yesterdaysvoices.wordpress.com Just a basic blog about different ancestors in my line, etc.
    Jackie

Inez Reed

Hi Tom and all those researching the McKays of Shelburne County, Nova Scotia: familysearch now has the Shelburne County Wills and Probates online. You have to do a bit of digging but it could be well worth your time.

I found the will of my immigrant ancestor, William McKay who died in 1829. It did answer one basic questions I'd had about him over the years. Yes, he did have a brother Robert. I also found the will of said brother (still no clue way this old bird doesn't appear in the census records!).

Inez

dharris

Default Shelburne MacKay research

I'm visiting Shelburne, NS for the first time this summer to research my MacKay, McGill, Harris and Bower lines. I'm descended from Robert MacKay/Barbara Morrison and their granddaughter Ann McKay who married Theophilus Harris. Most important, how can I meet some living relatives while there?
    Donna
    Holmes Beach, FL

tpbiii

Quote Originally Posted by dharris View Post
    I'm visiting Shelburne, NS for the first time this summer to research my MacKay, McGill, Harris and Bower lines. I'm descended from Robert MacKay/Barbara Morrison and their granddaughter Ann McKay who married Theophilus Harris. Most important, how can I meet some living relatives while there?
    Donna
    Holmes Beach, FL
    Hi Donna,

McKays, Harris' and Bowers abound in Jordan Falls and Shelburne. We will be in there for the summer -- June, July, and Aug. We have the David McKay house -- my ggggrandfather and the subject of this thread. My grandson is coming this summer -- that will be eight generations in the old house.

email me at tomATgatechDOTedu
    Last edited by christanel; 14-05-2015 at 3:06 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Queenie.McNabb

Long time no post, Tom, Stephen. I have taken a dna test and the first person I had a strong (and recognisable) match was to a Swansburg. His direct ancestors include David and Janet McPherson and William McKay and Catherine Morrison. He's a fourth cousin. Our common ancestors are George Swansburg and Margaret McKay.

Inez

tpbiii

Quote Originally Posted by Queenie.McNabb View Post
    Long time no post, Tom, Stephen. I have taken a dna test and the first person I had a strong (and recognisable) match was to a Swansburg. His direct ancestors include David and Janet McPherson and William McKay and Catherine Morrison. He's a fourth cousin. Our common ancestors are George Swansburg and Margaret McKay.

Inez
    Would that be this George Swansburg? He was a lifelong friend of my Grandfather's. He may well have been a relative as well, but I don't know. I met him when I was a child. Never met the moose.

Best,

-Tom

Queenie.McNabb

Quote Originally Posted by tpbiii View Post
    Would that be this George Swansburg? He was a lifelong friend of my Grandfather's. He may well have been a relative as well, but I don't know. I met him when I was a child. Never met the moose.

Best,

-Tom
    Oh, I don't know but that's one handsome Swansburg, now the moose looks a bit skinny to be kin of mine! No, seriously, this would have been a descendant of Cornelius J. Swansburg and Edna Mitchell. Of interest to you, though, is that he's also a descendant to David McKay and Janet McPherson.

Inez

Queenie.McNabb

There was a George A. Swansburg that was a son of Cornelius. He would have been born in the mid 1880s though.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast