Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Inez Reed

Dear Kevin - It sounds as though James' route to Nova Scotia is still somewhat veiled despite you systematic and apparently thorough research efforts. Sometimes breakthroughs come from more unlikely resources. I had ordered a War Office film (120 Vol 17) from Ottawa. When it arrived, the contents didn't match the catalogue description. What I had hoped for was attestation information for the 74th Regiment of Foot. It contained a roster describing the physical condition of individuals at the time of their discharge, place of discharge, duration of service, etc. Quite by luck, (not for old Walter McFarlane, he'd been wounded) this document contained information on my ancestor including previous profession age at time of discharge and place of birth.

If you haven't had a good dig through the WO microfilms, it may be worth your time.

Best wishes,

Inez

StephenMKohler

Default Kohler, Stephen M., Reporting For Duty

Hello Cuz'ns, I hope all is well with you and yours. Pardon my absence these long months. Life has a way of redirecting our efforts sometimes. I see the quest for our elusive McKay ancestors is alive and well. I have missed this incredible thread and I am very happy to be back and engaged. Now what's all this talk of SGT Donald McKay's grandson David McKay? Does anyone care to catch me up?

Always, Cuz Stephen
    Washington, DC
    Palm Harbor, Florida
    San Antonio, Texas

tpbiii

Quote Originally Posted by StephenMKohler View Post
    Hello Cuz'ns, I hope all is well with you and yours. Pardon my absence these long months. Life has a way of redirecting our efforts sometimes. I see the quest for our elusive McKay ancestors is alive and well. I have missed this incredible thread and I am very happy to be back and engaged. Now what's all this talk of SGT Donald McKay's grandson David McKay? Does anyone care to catch me up?

Always, Cuz Stephen
    Washington, DC
    Palm Harbor, Florida
    San Antonio, Texas
    Hi Stephen,

That came from me -- but it is now every suspect. In fact, almost certainly is wrong. I had found a family tree on ancestry.com that said exactly that. However, it did not survive careful study. It appears that two separate trees had been merged incorrectly because of two individuals had been accidentally merged into one. This all was in Scotland.

Oh well.

Best,

-Tom

Inez Reed

Oh, nothing new on that particular branch of "the" family, cuz. I did hear from another McKay descendant who had a bit of clarification to offer me on my wayward branch, Tom/Stephen. She is at odds with a website that claims our William was the son of Donald & Barbara Morrison McKay. She ties back through a Morrison line that stayed in the area so it's fairly compelling.

Inez

Hope all is well with you all. There's a light dusting of snow here and the brass monkey is looking longingly through the front window in hopes of being taken off the porch!

cowboyguy

yes life has cought up with me too, back surgery and all, but it sure was good to hear from ya K. McKay

cowboyguy

thank you,K.McKay

StephenMKohler

Awrite Cuz’ns. Tom, thank you for the explanation. It was almost too good to be true. Inez, sounds like the Morrison woman has a good tussle ahead of her. Leave the brass monkey outside. K, I hope you are through the worst of it and on to good recovery.

Always, Stephen

Gruff55

Hi new to the forum, I'm from Plymouth uk and have an ancestor named David Mackay born 1796 in Scotland but I'm not sure the whereabouts, the bizarre thing is he emigrated to the channel islands jersey and became a warder at Mont orgueil castle, he married a Marie Clair Valin from Flanders but that is it, not sure if i will really ever find out where in Scotland he is from much to my frustration

noddy62

Default would love innfo on mckay family please.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen M. Kohler View Post
    I am interested in the McKay family of Thurso, Caithness, Scotland. I am specifically seeking information on the parents and siblings of David McKay b. May 24 1793 in Thurso, Caithiness, Scotland. David immigrated to Canada and settled on the west side of the East Jordon River, Shelburne, Nova Scotia, Canada. David McKay married Janet McPherson, dau. of Lachlan and Elizabeth (Urquhart) McPherson, b., April 6, 1799 I East Jordan. N.S. I have much information on generations descending from this marriage that I am happy to share with other McKay researchers.

/Rwould love innfo on mckay family please.

Stephen
    Washington, DC
    would love innfo on mckay family please.

Welcome to Brit Gen!

The original poster is no longer a member of Brit Gen, I'm afraid.
    Why not start your own thread with a little bit of info about the family you're researching? There's a lot oh McKays around.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast