Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Inez Reed

Default David Oman McKay

Hi Joette - While I know that my branch of the McKays came to Nova Scotia by 1806, they might have just been passing through Thurso. They may have been from Cape Wrath, Durness, Sutherland. I did have some notes on my old PC to that effect but thanks to a lightening strike...poof! you get the picture.

At any rate, David Oman McKay's forebears did come from the Thurso area. I believe he had Oman(d), Sutherland, McKay and maybe some Ross connections in Geise.

My father's cousin Archie Trimble was an LDS elder and I do recall reading through Secrets to a Happy Life by McKay that was shelved at his home one summer.

Thurso supposedly has the ruins of a castle and several churches. I'm personally very "snap happy" when it comes to old cemeteries and interesting inscriptions.

At any rate, keep an eye out for the unusual. I hope the weather favors you!

Best wishes,

Inez

joette

Thanks & if I happen to be in Cape Wrath or Durness will take some pics!

cowboyguy

Default my people

Dear steven. I live in maine, Ive come back from mich. where my father was stationed in U.S. army corps. of enginers, there is were i was born, but my family is not from there. my father was born in hallowel me. after 1 year old they moved to calias me. his name was David p. (paul) mckay my mother was canadian Irene d. (doris) mckay, her maiden name was atcheson (best way i can spell it) lived in st. stevens, canada, my name is Kevin lloyd McKay, my grand father left them in the 30s and went to boston were my father seen him for the last time after the war, I had unkles gorge, erni, ed, clawd?, don, and i cant remember the other 2, i can if i look at albums my dad also had 7 sisters, i cant begin to remember, so basicly i know nothing of my family.
    my aunt did some reserch, from what she said we desended from a noble line? any way what ever you can shere with me, id be honored, thank you. Kevin McKay

Inez Reed

Default Atcheson & McKay - Passamaquoddy Bay Area

Hi Kevin - My father's family (Reed) is from Calais, Washington County, Maine and Charlotte County, NB. My Lowden grandmother's family was from St. Patrick's Parish, Charlotte County, NB and later Milltown/St. Stephens.

Hallowell is down the other end of Maine, as you know, but there were similar "migration" patterns coming into the area. Many of the families in Calais, my own included, came up to Washington County in the 1850s from Mt. Desert, Maine. Atcheson is a fairly common name there.

What's your earliest ancestor and maybe we can trace it from there?

Best wishes,

Inez Reed

Inez Reed

Default Lloyd Acheson?

Was your "grandfather" LLoyd Acheson of St. Stephens? The only thing that I have found so far is a birth announcement in the St. Croix Courier for Irene Doris Acheson who was born to Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Acheson in February of 1928.

Please share your earlier generations if you have them. Now I am curious.

Best wishes,

Inez

cowboyguy

Default mckay family

INEZ. YES that is my mom, she met my father David Paul McKay at a skating rink over the border in calias, Lloyd was my grandfather, This is exciting already. I dont know much about my family, is there any body that knows anymore about my family?

INEZ hit that out of the park, first swing!

Inez Reed

Default As much as I can figure out...

I found a limited amount of material on line concerning your father's family.

From the 1880 US Census, Calais, Washington, County, Maine.

James McKay, Carpenter, b. 1830 in New Brunswick, Canada and his wife Lavinia
    Children: Frank J. McKay b. 1863; Addie E. b. 1860; Alma L. McKay b. 1869; Harry W. McKay b. 1871; Oliver R. b. 1876; and Ella R. McKay

Frank J. McKay married Mary Emma Floyd. Child: George Elmer McKay

George Elmer McKay, born 22 Nov 1887 (Maine?) d. Providence, RI in 1857 and Mary Davida White. Mary Davida White was born 5 May 1887 in Parrsboro, NS and died 28 March 1976 in Calais, Maine.

George and Mary White McKay were the parents of David Paul McKay.

I have a good deal more on Mary Davida White's family in NS. Her family's name was actually Slauenwhite, various spellings and they came to NS from Germany in the late 18th century.

Best wishes,

Inez

cowboyguy

Default family

My fathers twin sister's name was Davida McKay, and when my G.-mother came to this country had to change her name to just White. That is my family line. any more from anybody, or family members. thank you INEZ. kevin.

Inez Reed

Default Really Quiet, eh?

Well haven't we all been quiet as church mice? Did everybody have a good summer?

I've had no new leads on my McKay family but managed to tie up a lose end from my mother's genealogy notebook. She would have really enjoyed finally seeing where Catherine Gordon's family came from (another Scot). I also worked on some McKays from PEI. Now there's an interesting lot. They hailed from Campbelltown in Argyle and were in PEI by 1775.

Take care, don't be strangers.

Inez

Inez Reed

Default Charles Walker & Mary E. McKay

Stephen or Tom - Perhaps this would best be answered by cousin Frances Walker Richardson but do either of you know which McKay family Charles Walker married into? Mary McKay Walker would have been an aunt to my mother and Frances. Any guesses?

For that matter, did Charles and Mary Walker stay in NS?

Best wishes,

Inez

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast