Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Inez Reed

Hi Lesley - Please repost your questions about the McKay family that came from Thurso to Jordan Falls area Nova Scotia in the 19th century!

Inez

I don't have any questions about this family. I suggest that you look at the message I was responding to, from a new member.

JackieHollow

Hi Inez! I believe the Gilbert McKay you speak of here is my 5th great grandfather. I'd love to talk to you about him! Gilbert was born about 1755, I believe, in Scotland, and moved to Shelburne NS. He served in the Rev. War, from what I am told. I'm a southern girl (Arkansas) trying to find the best way to research in Shelburne. Just googling Gilbert McKay Revolutionary War, brought me to this forum. I can't wait to delve in more here!

Quote Originally Posted by Inez Reed View Post
    Let me correct myself...again...Wm and Catharine Morrison were married in Thurso in 1803 as per first post.

There was a Donald McKay that was born in Brawlbin and later went to Thurso. He was definitely from the highlands. He's mentioned in the Book of McKay. That book has been digitized and is on the Family History Archive of the Mormon Church. I have dial up so I have not been able to wade through part 2 of the book which has all of the McKay branches.

Donald (joined 1777?) was mustered out of the 76th along with a Gilbert McKay. I've found some records associated with him (presumably dates are right) in Shelburne. I think Stephen's thoughts on the elder McKay being responsible for bringing some of his kinsmen into the area.

Take care and hope to hear from the two of you soon.

Inez

JackieHollow

Penny, my lines include Crocheron, Guyon, Berry/Barry, and McKays also! I'd love to talk with you more about these lines.

Quote Originally Posted by pcorbett View Post
    The paternal side of my grandmother's family is Jacob Locke Smith's parents: David George Smith (m.1836 to Catherine Elizabeth Locke b.1822), and her ancestors include Locke, Perry, Barry, Crocheron, Guyon and another McKay (Elizabeth McKay m to John Crocheron b. 1798.

Best,
    Penny Corbett

Inez Reed

Default Connection to Gilbert?

Quote Originally Posted by JackieHollow View Post
    Hi Inez! I believe the Gilbert McKay you speak of here is my 5th great grandfather. I'd love to talk to you about him! Gilbert was born about 1755, I believe, in Scotland, and moved to Shelburne NS. He served in the Rev. War, from what I am told. I'm a southern girl (Arkansas) trying to find the best way to research in Shelburne. Just googling Gilbert McKay Revolutionary War, brought me to this forum. I can't wait to delve in more here!
    Hi Jackie - It's been a while since I've worked with these wily McKay ancestors. Who was your earliest set of ancestors that may have been closer in time to Gilbert and where were they located. I notice that you responded to Penny's post on her Shelburne connection. What are the other surnames you'd be looking at in Shelburne?

Inez

Inez Reed

Jackie - Nice blog you have. So your earliest McKay ancestor in the states was Gilbert son of William and Elizabeth Crocheron? There's an early marriage 21 January 1829 at Christ Church, Shelburne, NS. Do you have another other tidbits?

Inez

Inez Reed

Shelburne County Archives and Genealogical Society is a good place to start. The have surname files:

https://nsgna.ednet.ns.ca/shelburne/surnames.html#c

They also have a collection of family Bibles, Mckay and Crocherone two held there. I don't know which of the Mckay families in Shelburne this may have been from. There were several Mckay families settling in Shelburne during the last couple of decades of the 18th century and first couple of decades from the 19th century. There are a few that check in here that have been lead a merry chase over the years researching their history

Inez

JackieHollow

Default Gilbert McKay and his line

Hi Inez! First, thank you so much for replying so quickly!

What I know about my McKay line is fairly limited. Gilbert McKay seems to be part of the 76th Regt, or "MacDonald's Highlanders". He was discharged at Shelburne, and lived the remainder of his life there. On the 21 April 1800 he married Rebecca (everywhere says Berry, but the marriage record says McKie. I'm still trying to find proof). I do find Gilbert McKay in the Census for Shelburne in 1827. That's all I can find of him. It's unknown when he died, or where he's buried. At least unknown by me.

His son, William McKay, who was born in 1806 and died 1893, married Elizabeth Crocheron Jan 1829. By 1871 they had moved to Southwold Elgin Co, Ontario.

Their son, Gilbert, served in the Civil War. Unfortunately he lost his life when lightning struck as he was standing guard under a tree. His wife Rhoda Berdan, remarried Ira Taylor shortly thereafter, and two of their sons were living with their grandparents William and Elizabeth above in 1871 census. Gilbert mustered into the war in Michigan, where his sister, and uncle Ebenezer (brother of William) lived.

Thank you for the compliment on the blog. I never feel as if I write well enough to blog, but I often enjoy it.

I have been in contact with the Shelburne Genealogical Society. And while I'd *LOVE* to have them do some research for me, they charge $30 an hour. Right now I'm a stay at home - homeschooling mom of 4. I'm hoping soon I'll be able to hire them, but until then, I'm doing what I can on my own.

Inez Reed

Rebecca Berry was the daughter of Ebenezer Berry and Deborah Bootman. She was born in 1765. You have their marriage record. Piecing their reproductive years together from various sources, they had a number of children. She died in May of 1841 and is buried at St. John's Kirkyard, Shelburne, NS. Gilbert died before 1827, likely in 1799.

[Cemetery Records: NS, Shelburne. Co.; Vol. VII] Rebecca Berry w/ Gilbert McKay d.May1841ae75]

LHG: Trinity United Church, Shelburne, NS; Robertson] p.48 Rebecca BERRY wife of Gilbert MCKAY, mother of Janet McK. MARTIN, d.May1841ae75.

Inez

stay at home retiree and researcher

JackieHollow

Yes, I have their marriage information which lists her last name as McKie. That's why I was unsure.

I hadn't seen the cemetery record. I'm assuming "Cemetery Records: NS, Shelburne. Co.; Vol. VII" is a book? Does it say what cemetery they were buried in? I also hadn't seen about his daughter Janet. I had only known of 2 of his children - Ebenezer and William. Thank you so much for that piece of his information!

It's my dream to one day go to Shelburne and do some research. I live in the deep south, and would love to spend a summer up there!!!

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast