starrysez

Default Military Uniform - Help with Identification..

Hello

I really hope that someone can help. Below is a photograph - circa 1900 - of my great grandfather - Harry Heptinstall who I know fought in the Boer War - can anyone suggest as to where the uniform is from and why he would be photographed with a mule?

Many thanks in advance!

I hope that the link works (first time on here)

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...php?albumid=60

Hello starrysez and welcome to the forum.
    Can not help you, but could I suggest that the photograph be enlarged so that the uniform can be seen a bit clearer? Most of us use Photobucket, see here for instructions to post photographs as you can put a larger image on there.
    Good luck

starrysez

Default Thanks Neil

Thank you Neil - I will endevour to do that

starrysez

Default Larger Image of original picture

hello

As advised by Neil here is the larger picture!

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...&pictureid=294

Many thanks in advance!

MarkJ

The quality of the image is low - so it isn't possible to see the uniform detail clearly. Ideally, we need to see the cap badge and buttons etc if we can.
    I wonder if the image quality is a problem specific to using the B-G photo album to upload the image? I have not used that myself so I am not sure if there is a size restriction or something.
    If you have a good scan of the photo I would try the Photobucket route which Neil mentions - that will allow you to upload a high resolution image. Alternatively, you could try editing the picture to show the cap badge and perhaps the shoulders of the gentleman - if you have just those bits in the picture, you may be able to get them at a high res.

Mark

starrysez

Default Hi Mark

Hi Mark

Th actually quality of the original is very poor indeed but I will, as suggested try the photo bucket and the information that you suggested.

this picture is actually a copy of the original - will see what I can do - but to be honest the original is not very detailed either - annoying really!

Thanks for the advice though

MarkJ

Ideally, if the picture you have isn't too great, you would be best advised to see if you can get the holder of the original to rescan it at as high a resolution as possible.

When it comes to identifying military uniforms and working out which regiment etc someone served in, the detail from buttons, badges and so on makes all the difference.

Mark

starrysez

Finbar -
    He came from Wakefield, Yorkshire as far as I can work out - but I am having issues with the birth cert. at the moment - it is thought that this photo could have been taken on his wedding day (although i don't believe he married a mule!) in 1904 in Rillington in Yorkshire...but that could just by myth

Could this therefore be ceremonial dress.....will google 'Brodrick' now!!

Mark J -
    I am the owner of the original but it is located at my parents in Yorkshire and they don't get on all that well with technology! So I will try to re-scan this one again and if all else fails - will repost the pic after the trip back uuupp narrtthhh for Easter!

Thanks for the information though guys

starrysez

Default New information

Hello all

I have now found some more military records on ancestry showing that 'Henry Heptinstall' was in the West Riding regiment in 1909. I also have discharge documents from 1914 after being called up for one years service in the army reserves - number 11522 - but I cannot find any information in the records for the inital circa 1909 information - can anyone help??