Loves to help with queries

Hi
    Yes please.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Done
    Browneyes

Hi
    Thanks very much for that, interesting that it talks about older labourers being platelayers.
    My relatives were 31 and 30 in the 81 census, the younger one being the one who was killed in '87.

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

Default Received

Thanks for that.
    One thing I noticed is that those killed were annually published by direction of the Board of Trade. Do you think these still exist?? My grandfather was killed in 1955. I would be interested to see what it said. Maybe it was even published in the local newspaper??? Which was Stevenage.

Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful

You might like to read what railwaysarchive.co.uk says on their genealogy page and perhaps there are other threads in this section which might answer your question about records.

Not sure about newspapers. Will think about it tomorrow if no one else posts an answer for you.
    Browneyes

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

You might like to read what railwaysarchive.co.uk says on their genealogy page and perhaps there are other threads in this section which might answer your question about records.
    I had a look at the site, but can find no record of the accident. He was killed instantly on 8/8/1955 at Stevenage. Any ideas??

Sue

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by sue2white View Post
    Maybe it was even published in the local newspaper??? Which was Stevenage.
    The possible newspapers are:

The Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire Express
    The Herts Advertiser

The latter has been running for ever (so it seems to me) and brings out its own locally-flavoured version each week. If you contact HALS (Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies) they may be able to check for you.

Hi
    I haven't beeen able to find anything on the national sites for my accident either, however someone on ancestry was able to go into the gloucester records office and found a newspaper report and the coroners certificate for me.

Maybe an enquiry on the Hert's board there or on this site might find someone willing to do the same for you if you can't get there yourself.

KateW

Default Platelayers.

Hi,

I had a Gt gt grandfather who was a Platelayer in Wales and he lived just by the railway and is buried in a chapel below a viaduct. I would love to know what the job involved. Could you PM me a copy of the article too?

Many thanks,
    KateW

Flossy

Hi Browneyes,
    Only just managed to get back to the site. Just a quick message to give a public thanks for sending me the article, & in such an easy format (for me) to access. Luckily so far I haven't found any that had tragic accidents; most appea to have lived to a ripe old age - but I haven't found all the deaths yet, so anything could turn up.

Cheers,
    Flossy

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast