Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    apples24

Default how do i find details of someone who dies ww2

basicly my wifes grandads dad was born 1899 arthur w burgess

it is believed a few years after his son james burgess 1933 was born he died, he died fighting for the country.

im guessing he died somewere around 1937

cant seem to locate a death cert, i did find a marriage between him and ellen m skinner in 1925

we also no nothing about arthur w burgess father.

i did find a arthur w burgess born in birmingham im unsure if its him though.

any advice?

lee

There is only one A W Burgess on the CWGC site and he was the Son of Mr. and Mrs. George William Burgess; husband of Florence Jane Burgess, of Gorleston-on-Sea, Norfolk.
    Couldn't see your Arthur W on it, therefore one can reasonably say that he didn't die in WWII, unless he re-married.

apples24

i see ill have to phone my gramps and re confirm. thanyou for looking

so is that the ww2 deaths record?

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site www.cwgc.org lists all those who died in the First and Second World Wars and to quote "The "Debt of Honour Register" is the Commission's database listing the 1.7 million men and women of the Commonwealth forces who died during the two world wars and the 23,000 cemeteries, memorials and other locations worldwide where they are commemorated. The register can also be searched for details of the 67,000 Commonwealth civilians who died as a result of enemy action in the Second World War."

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Lee
    Which documents are you using? Are you using Certificates or just Indexes? I ask because from before the First World War registered births show the Mother's Maiden Name and there seems no sign of a James Burgess born around 1933 whose Mother's Maiden Name was Skinner.
    There is a birth recorded in the September Quarter of 1934 for a James R Burgess, West Derby 8b 862: Mother's Maiden Name Robinson and there is Marriage between an Arthur W Burgess and Ruth G Robinson registered in the June Quarter 1930, Basford 7b 763.
    To be a tad more certain work back from your Wife's Certificates.
    Sorry if this smacks of teaching Granny to suck eggs, but going by guess work you can end up a Gum Tree, rather than your Family Tree
    Peter
    Last edited by peter nicholl; 15-03-2009 at 3:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

apples24

im just going through index's and adding what data i can providing it tallys up with other records etc, been reasonably lucky on ancestry site, as as soon as i add a member it throuws up the hints that are possible leads

i

apples24

just spoken to nan and he died in the 60s from cancer

sorry god knows were i got that info from

Jan1954

Don't worry, Apples - the story is probably connected to someone else in the family and all will become clear at some point. I am glad that you are now on the right track.

aland

Hi Apples,
    Is this your, Arthur William Burgess buried Jan 1959 , Old Cemetery Southampton Common ?
    Aland

apples24

wow that is my wifes fathers fathers father or great grandad i think is the correct wording

how do you get the cemetry records?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast