sally

Default Lizzie Henderson on 1916 census help

Can someone with access to the 1916 census do a lookup for me please.

A search for Lizzie HENDERSON born 1896 + - 1yr in Scotland threw up a result for Lizzie HENDERSON 1896 in Manitoba, Winnipeg South.

I can't find any results for her parents or siblings so they probably stayed in Scotland - I am most interested in the info that tells you when she arrived in Canada.

Regards
    Sally

giveover

Default Lizzie Henderson

Hi Sally,

There is a Lizzie Henderson age 18, single , going to Winnipeg, Manitoba as a Domestic in July 1913.
    She was on the Cassandra sailing from Glasgow to Quebec and was born in Scotland.
    There are a few Lizzie Henderson's but she is one born in 1895.

On the 1916 census for Manitoba there is Lizzie Henderson age 20, a servant in a hospital.
    She arrived in Canada in 1913 and seems to be the same one as above.

Best wishes
    Anne

Mary Anne

Sally

She is listed as a servant at the Misericorida Hospital in Winnipeg. Age 20. She is listed as a Roman Catholic. And the immigration year looks like either 1913 or 1918. (probably 1913 - see below...)

FYI, there's also a John S. Henderson, a single male, age 30. He is listed as an office clerk and there is no immigration year given for him.

Looks like her on a 8 July 1913 passenger list for the Cassandra sailing from Glasgow to Québec City. Age 18 and destined for Winnipeg, Manitoba, to work as a domestic. She is listed here as Presbyterian. She is with a group of emigrants, most with British Bonus Allowed stamped next to their names, which usually means they were part of some kind of emigration scheme (they didn't get the money, the ship-owners did). She went on to Winnipeg on the CPR.

Mary Anne
    Last edited by Mary Anne; 04-03-2009 at 8:09 PM. Reason: cross-posted with giveover....

sally

Thank you Anne I can now try to find her passage on Findmypast.

Regards
    Sally

sally

Nearly missed your posting Mary Anne as mine went through at the same time.

Thank you very much for the extra information. John doesn't appear to be mine although he could be a cousin.
    I knew there was assisted passage to Austrailia at one time but I had not heard of this British Bonus scheme which may explain a little about how she managed to go to Canada - her father was only a Coal Carter so I don't suppose he had much spare money.

Regards
    Sally