Thread: Brick Wall !!!

mistylincs

Default Brick Wall !!!

My Uncle William Bland born 1899 at Eastville Lincolnshire joined the West Yorkshire Regiment and died in the first world war but I can't find anything out about him. I have checked the CWGC but he is not there. There is however a Richard W Bland (service number 39272) born at Eastville who enlisted at Oakham joining the Highland Light Infantry and died in France and Flanders. The reason I am interested in this Richard is because of the 'W' what does it stand for and Eastville and Oakham because my Father grew up around Oakham
    If anyone can come up with anything I would be grateful because I can't get even a chip out of this brick wall lol
    Mistylincs

Mary Anne

Mistylinks

I suggest you post your query on The Great War Forum -- lots of very knowledgeable folks about WW1.

Good luck

Mary Anne

Jan1954

Helo mistylincs,

This Richard W Bland...

Well, I am not saying that it is him, but there is a birth registration on FreeBMD for a Richard William Bland in the June quarter of 1898 in Spilsby registration district (which covers Eastville) volume 7a, page 579.

This Richard would definitely have been old enough to have fought in WW1 and die in 1918.

memorialhunter

Richard William. Bland
    Birth Place: Eastville, Lincolns
    Residence: Oakham, Rutlands
    Death Date: 9 Apr 1918
    Regiment: Highland Light Infantry
    Battalion: 10/11th Battalion.
    Number: 39272
    Type of Casualty: Killed in action