Loves to help with queries

Default I can't find a service record.

Hi,

My Aunt tells me my grand father was in the Black Watch.
    My Father told me my grand father was in a Scottish Regement.

But I can't find any WW1 record for him. I managed to find his Brother.

My grand father was a Tram Conductor before WW1 (From Marriage Cert) and after WW1 (From Death Cert) so one would imagine he would have been able bodied to be up and down the tram stairs all day. (Though he did die young 36).

I can't imagine a Tram Conductor being a "reserved Occupation" if they had such things in WW1.

His brother was in the King Own Scottish Borderers.

I'm wondering if there is/was some confusion about this as my father would only have been six when his father died. My aunt would only have been six months.

So how did he escape the army in WW1 if he did.

Tom.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by tomg
    But I can't find any WW1 record for him. I managed to find his Brother.
    Was he an officer or non-commissioned rank?

For the bad news on non-commissioned WW1 records see this resarch guide - British Army Soldiers' Papers WW1

In particular read the first paragraph on 'Destruction of British Army Service Records' the title of which hints at the problem.

Have you tried looking through the medal car index? If you can confirm his regiment it would be a start and may be able to identify a battalion or unit, you could then turn to the war diaries

If any of your family received a gallantry medal or as mentioned in desptches, you might find an entry in the London Gazette.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by tomg View Post
    I can't imagine a Tram Conductor being a "reserved Occupation" if they had such things in WW1.
    Hello Tom,

In the First World War, I believe that "reserved occupations" were referred to as Starred or Star Occupations and badges were issued to those who fell into this category. These were "On War Service" or OWS badges.

You may find this article of interest which, although being about the badges, also provides some background information to their issue.

I still have one of these badges, which my great grandfather wore.

ahhhh. I didn't realise so much was lost. Pretty much all of the others I've tried to find have been there leading to a false sense of completeness.

You live and learn.

Tom.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by tomg
    ahhhh. I didn't realise so much was lost. Pretty much all of the others I've tried to find have been there leading to a false sense of completeness.
    One other thought, which I forgot to mention earlier - if you can identify a regiment, don't forget the regimental museum; where you'll often find someone with an encyclopaedic knowledge of the holdings and who did what and when; and just where to lay their hands on a photo of..........

pte1643

Quote Originally Posted by tomg View Post
    Not meant to insult anyone, but...

You do realise that the Black Watch is just a "Nickname" for the Royal Highland Regiment?. Although nowadays, amalgamated into the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Just thought I'd post, as no-one else pointed it out. Like I said, not teaching anyone to suck eggs.

Mary Anne

Tomg

You might try The Great War Forum and post an enquiry there. Lots of knowledgeable folks there - and helpful too!

Mary Anne

Quote Originally Posted by pte1643 View Post

You do realise that the Black Watch is just a "Nickname" for the Royal Highland Regiment?. Although nowadays, amalgamated into the Royal Regiment of Scotland.
    As always google is our friend :-)

https://www.theblackwatch.co.uk/

The problem is knowing what to post and what not to post.

tom.

memorialhunter

Hi
    Your grandfather, what was his name?
    memorialhunter