+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply I do not have specific dates unfortunately, although my Albert Godfrey died in the spring of 1949.
    Many thanks anyway.
    ELMA

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elma For This Useful Post:

SwindonLibrary (24-10-2011)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I believe Maurice Hemming worked for the GWR from 1911 to 1914, initially at Snowhill, Birmingham and spent some time at Banbury. He joined the army in 1914 and I believe he was assigned to the Oxfordshire Ironstone Railway which was being built then. He later served in Salonika.
    I'll try the records at Kew.
    Thanks again
    Barry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sailorbaz For This Useful Post:

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Question Search Request - Stewart King Calne 1911

Hi
    From the staff books I know that my great grandfather - Stewart King received a commendation in August 1911, but I don't know what for. Is that kind of news in the staff magazines? If so, could you have a look for me please? The details I know are:
    Stewart King born July 1872, worked as porter at Bridport from September 1898 and Calne from February 1905. Reference to testimonials: 26782.

Many thanks, look forward to hearing from you

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jofreegard For This Useful Post:

Here to help with Swindon and local area queries SwindonLibrary's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi jofreegard,

I have looked at the 1911 GWR staff magazine till the December issue but without success. So sorry to draw a blank (again!).

If it helps, the "Staff commendations" in 1911 are for actions like "detecting a broken coupling" or "alertness in securing the arrest of a bicycle thief" or "prompt action in dealing with a wagon on fire". Many are fire and theft related.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Thumbs up Ok, another one ....

Thanks for looking for my last request, it's a shame we cannot get more details. Thanks for suggesting the type of things people were commended for - some idea is better than none.

Do you think you could look for an obituary for me now please?
    The details I know are:
    Doreen King worked as a bookings clerk at Calne station. She died on 8th March 1947 and we know that GWR representatives went to her funeral.

Looking forward to hearing from you - this is such a great thing you are doing!

Thanks
    Jo

Thanks

Aargh! The curse strikes again.

I have searched through the HUNDREDS of obits and other staff notices and had no luck - we lookd through the entire remainder of 1947 with no success. Local press for Calne may be the best bet - try the WSHC at Chippenham (too far south for our newspaper holdings).

The puzzle is that there are almost no women listed (we only spotted 1 in those 9 months!) which is odd as there were many working for the GWR. It may be that only men were members of the GW Provident Soc (who supplied 75% of the obits). Others here will know more than us on this subject.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

Hello

would it be possible to do a look up for Edward Albert Gall. In the 1911 census he is shown as a railway groom, which I take to mean working with horses (he had been a driver with the Royal Field Artillery for 10 years), maybe in the parcels/goods delivery section of the railway. The address shown is Kensington so I'm guessing he was mavbe based at Paddington or Old Oak Common. From 1914-17 he did war service. From 1917 -1946 he was a railwayman. He died 1/1/1946, his death cert shows him as railwayman retired and living in Slough. I'm not 100% sure he was GWR, just taking a guess given the places where he lived.
    Many thanks
    Mick

Thanks

Hi MIck,

I have checked the first 6 months of the 1946 GWR staff magazine and there is no mention of Mr Gall's death.
    The only other entry we found was searching the railway records on Ancestry:

Name: Edward Albert Gall
    Birth Date: 19 Dec 1880
    Residence Date: Oct 1896
    Station: Paddington
    Company: Great Western
    Class Number: 264
    Piece: 358
    Description: Register of uniformed staff No.2 F & G 1872-1915.

If this is him then I suggest reading through the other posts in this thread and finding out how to track down his GWR staff record.

Best of luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SwindonLibrary For This Useful Post:

mickgall (13-12-2011)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

yep thats him
    thanks for the quick reply
    Mick

Newcomer to Brit-Gen
    Thanks

May I ask if there are any entries for a Henry Ashford in the staff magazine .he was born 8th january 1849 and he joined gwr on the 9th of february 1865. he went through many promotions from what i have seen of his records and many ummm situations.census records show him as a railway engine driver. he retired on the 5th of may 1915. his son was also a railway engine driver from what census records say but i cant find his records.
    thanks joe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast