Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by murther View Post
    I have come across my Grandfather's address in the borough of Lambeth's electoral roll register for 1949. He is entered in the register twice at the same address with the abbreviation of DUWX 116/3 on one and EBGW 66/3 on the other. Can anyone help as to why he would have two entries and what the abbreviations mean. I do know that he was a teacher.
    There was a query about these number and letter sequences on another forum a few months ago - see www.
    rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=690197.9

They seem to be something to do with National Registration and later NHS numbers, but no-one seems to have explained the significance of there being two entries. Is it two people with the same name, or one person who somehow had two numbers?

Arthur
    Last edited by arthurk; 20-09-2014 at 2:42 PM. Reason: Added quote

Reputation beyond repute

I can't answer it but can the questioner please confirm that it was definitely only one person (not for example father and son with the same name)!

Two entries surely implies two votes. We didn't have one-person-one-vote in those days but I don't think a school teacher would get an extra vote!

murther

Hi - thank you for responding - I have done a little more digging and it transpires that my great grandfather also lived at this address at the same time with the same initials - newbie's faux pas - he was a butcher but I am still no nearer locating the abbreviations - if someone could assist it would be most appreciated

Reputation beyond repute

I don't think they are abbreviations. Did you follow the link Arthur provided?

I believe they are National Registration identity card numbers and are included purely to distinguish between two people of the same name at the same address.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12