Jon Whiting

Default Institution in Salisbury, 1881

Hi all,

Could anyone tell me what kind of institution existed at 'Rd Leading Out Of
    St Martins Church Street, Salisbury St Martin, Wiltshire, England'. This was
    situated between 86 Milford Street and 12 St Martins Church Street in the
    1881 census (RG11/2072/113/19).

It contained a number of women and girls with the relationship 'penitent',
    employed as either laundress or housemaid.

Thanks
    Jon

Ann AW

Default Re- Salisbury St Martins

Hi Jon,

I can't really answer your question but on the original census form it says 'Salisbury Diocesan House of Mercy' perhaps it was a convent? Penitent would fit in with being a Nun.
    I will send you a copy of the census form off list.
    Ann

Jon Whiting

Default Church Penitentiary Association for Fallen Women

Hi all,

I have now aquired information about the institution in Salisbury. The full title in the 1881 census is 'Salisbury Diocesan House of Mercy'. This was one of a chain of similar instutions set up from 1848 by William Ewert Gladstone, the prime minister, called 'the Church Penitentaiary Association for the Reclaimation of Fallen Women'. It was a home for ex-prostitutes without children. It appears that if they had children, then they were sent to the workhouse.

Jon

A fountain of knowledge

Default More in 1901

This is interesting. The penitents were mistranscribed as "patients" in 1881. And the marital status of the "Lady in charge of institution" was "windower," perhaps suggesting that she had practiced defenestration upon the late Mr. MacNamara.

In 1901, the head was a "Sister of Mercy," and there were a few others. The number of "inmates" had grown considerably.

RG13/1954
    Registration district: Salisbury
    Sub-registration district: Salisbury
    ED, institution, or vessel: 9
    Folio: 124
    Page: 1
    Household schedule number: 7

Was this a RC institution? Government sponsored? (Faith-based initiatives in 1848? ) Or were there C of E "Sisters of Mercy?"

Peggy

A fountain of knowledge

Default 1871

In 1871 the "Sister in Charge" was a Sister of Mercy, with an "Associate Sister." The residents were "Inmates" and all Scholars.

RG10/1956
    Registration district: Alderbury
    Sub-registration district: Salisbury
    ED, institution, or vessel: 17
    Folio: 71
    Page: 18
    Household schedule number: 100

Wonderful handwriting! If Rod used this man's work as a test, I don't think there would be many differing transcriptions. And he included detail, listing one person as "First cousin." Wish he'd been the enumerator where my rellies lived.

Cheers,

Peggy